I am really starting to hate my city...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default I am really starting to hate my city...

Well I guess enough @@swipes on Harleys hit the rev limiter infront of ol granny crankumpants house that she complained and now a law is going to be passed that no motorbikes can have an exhaust louder than 92 DB........ what in the sweet mother of %^$^!!!!! I was just about to order a FMF powercore4 but no longer thankfully I live outside the city so I could get the exhaust and only drive the country but the bike is my main way of travel in the summer so idk what to do,anybody wanna help me protest ?
as far as I know the KLX stock makes a popcorn farty 94DB and is by far the least loud bike ever..... looks like that 500 bucks I was going to spend on mods will be going to the men in blue pretty soon
Thehunterman

Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm right next door in Maine. I don't think there's a dB limit but aftermarket cans are not allowed now. I'm switching back to the KLX300 stock exhaust.

Looks like time's caught up with us....even in the boonies.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:59 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I think it's Denver that passed such a law a couple of years ago. All the Colorado guys tell me the police don't give a second look at dual sports unless you're running somthing stupid loud, like no muffler at all or a megaphone. The thing that started it is indeed Harleys and a number of big displacement Jap cruisers with straight pipes. Seems like most LE authorities know where the problem lies...along with some obnoxious tuner car exhausts. It's funny, but even when a DS bike with a pipe exceeds some of these noise limits, they almost never appear that way to the naked ear. Maybe it's because it's a single and/or smaller displacement. And while a cop could just stick a db meter out there and try to make a point, believe it or not, most of them aren't interested in bikes or cars that aren't really sounding off like those Harleys and such. What the law did was give cops something specific to cite those truly obnoxious bikes and cars without a lot of traffic court drama.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
I think it's Denver that passed such a law a couple of years ago. All the Colorado guys tell me the police don't give a second look at dual sports unless you're running somthing stupid loud, like no muffler at all or a megaphone. The thing that started it is indeed Harleys and a number of big displacement Jap cruisers with straight pipes. Seems like most LE authorities know where the problem lies...along with some obnoxious tuner car exhausts. It's funny, but even when a DS bike with a pipe exceeds some of these noise limits, they almost never appear that way to the naked ear. Maybe it's because it's a single and/or smaller displacement. And while a cop could just stick a db meter out there and try to make a point, believe it or not, most of them aren't interested in bikes or cars that aren't really sounding off like those Harleys and such. What the law did was give cops something specific to cite those truly obnoxious bikes and cars without a lot of traffic court drama.
I am glad it will get those guys off the road that like to rip by me in a 50 no passing zone doing 70 with a skull encrusted earbuster loudenbanger pipe with no helmet on,all the while looking like they are attempting a chinup off their apehangers...... I think I will just order the powercore 4 and take er' easy in the city as allways do anyway and hope for the best.mebbe try to ride behind people with louder pipes than me

Old 04-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

As long as you are not acting like a jackass i doubt you will have any problems. Just stay low in the revs and you should be fine. The law is aimed towards the idiot V twins who have a twitchy right wrist...

Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Why not get the FMF Q4? Flows better than stock yet not as loud as the PowerCore series.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah like Eric said, you can decide how loud your bike is by how much gas you give it and what gear you are in, keep the rpm's low when you are worried and then when its safe open it up a little.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

My municipality brought in a loud vehicle bylaw last year. It was largely in response to the bar-hopping Harley crowd infringing on others rights to peaceful enjoyment in areas of the city with lots of nightlife. Authorities assured us however that this bylaw is not focussed at one specific vehicle type, but any noisy vehicle.

The law stipulates a threshold of 96dB as measured by a device located on a bylaw control officer’s unmarked vehicle, parked at the side of the road. Multiple microphones & cameras track the suspect loud vehicle and capture the plate number. A citation is then mailed to the registered owner.

Extensive homework on both the equipment and the bylaw was done prior to implementation. The public was even invited to bring their vehicles to a series of non-incriminating tests of their own vehicles prior to implementation. My KLX with a TBR M7 pipe registered 105dB by the way; and that’s WITH the P1X ‘sound reducing’ tip! (That was one of the loudest readings of the session I attended. My 1200cc V-twin XB12 with Drummer exhaust ‘only’ measured 96dB. A straight pipe Harley set the bar at 110dB).

It’s now been almost a year since the bylaw came into effect and it was recently reported that only ONE ticket had been issues so far. There hasn’t been any reported court challenges yet, although I am VERY curious to see how this legislation will hold up given that vehicle noise emissions is a federal concern, not municipal.

Ultimately, the bylaw, as implemented here, has not affected me one bit. I prefer to be out riding real roads & trails rather than cruising up & down the same urban stroll over & over annoying others. After all, there’s 70,000,000km (45,000,000mi) of roads out there; why limit yourself!?

Having said that, I do see these types of bylaws as just another nail in the coffin of riders’ rights. There are a lot of folks who’d like to see bikes outlawed completely. Every time we as bikers ride like jack-asses, either with loud pipes, speeding, stunting, roosting up off-trail terrain, whatever, it just gives more credibility to their cause.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Screw decibel laws, put whatever pipe on you want. If you see a cop just coast by in neutral.

Problem solved.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hounderd
Screw decibel laws, put whatever pipe on you want. If you see a cop just coast by in neutral.

Problem solved.
That's what I do

Quick Reply: I am really starting to hate my city...