How Often Do You Change Your Oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Religiously at 2k with the klx

Old 08-22-2015, 04:18 AM
1st Gear Member

This is a interesting Topic...Not one reply is the same,as I get it was just seeing...were all different,well the way I look at it the oil change with filter is cheap,I do think Syn is the best choice...

Old 08-22-2015, 11:43 AM
1st Gear Member

A very subjective topic. There is one key point if you want to be sure it is a blend that works well with the wet clutch - look at the label for the JASO-MA rating that means it meets the Japanese Automobile Standards Organization's rating for motorcycle w/wet clutch and gear box use. That would pretty much assure it will not cause clutch slippage. JASO is on par with SAE and actually has developed the motorcycle oil rating that is recognized world wide.

You don't need to buy high buck oil to get that rating, Rotella diesel dyno oil has it as, I think, the synthetic does.

I figure if the expert rating company that is well respected says it is good for the bike, that's better than my guessing. That also means it has some additives not legal in other oils. Motorcycle and diesel oil has additives not legal in gas powered engine oils, and likely not needed. It's part about need and part EPA/DOT as to what goes in the oil.

From there if you really want a good answer, take a sample of oil and have it tested. We did that with a GoldWing and found that at 2500 miles it was still good to go. But the miles put on the Wing were mostly full engine temp - long rides. If a lot of short around town stuff was done that may not cook off moisture that can have acid effects. Like everything, it's better to run it long enough to heat up the entire driveline to full operating temps - same with cars/trucks.

We drive our cars long runs daily so I don't get too shook up if oil changes are around 8000 miles. Similar with bikes and I'll do around 4000-5000 miles. Oil is far better than in the 50s-60s where most of the "change every XXX miles" (low miles) thing came from. The age of straight weight, non-detergent oil and old metallurgy in engine design. The oil companies, who actually profit from selling you more, have done the testing and research making their recommendations pretty legit.

Last edited by klx678; 08-22-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Jaso

Originally Posted by klx678
A very subjective topic. There is one key point if you want to be sure it is a blend that works well with the wet clutch - look at the label for the JASO-MA rating that means it meets the Japanese Automobile Standards Organization's rating for motorcycle w/wet clutch and gear box use. That would pretty much assure it will not cause clutch slippage. JASO is on par with SAE and actually has developed the motorcycle oil rating that is recognized world wide.

You don't need to buy high buck oil to get that rating, Rotella diesel dyno oil has it as, I think, the synthetic does.

I figure if the expert rating company that is well respected says it is good for the bike, that's better than my guessing. That also means it has some additives not legal in other oils. Motorcycle and diesel oil has additives not legal in gas powered engine oils, and likely not needed. It's part about need and part EPA/DOT as to what goes in the oil.

From there if you really want a good answer, take a sample of oil and have it tested. We did that with a GoldWing and found that at 2500 miles it was still good to go. But the miles put on the Wing were mostly full engine temp - long rides. If a lot of short around town stuff was done that may not cook off moisture that can have acid effects. Like everything, it's better to run it long enough to heat up the entire driveline to full operating temps - same with cars/trucks.

We drive our cars long runs daily so I don't get too shook up if oil changes are around 8000 miles. Similar with bikes and I'll do around 4000-5000 miles. Oil is far better than in the 50s-60s where most of the "change every XXX miles" (low miles) thing came from. The age of straight weight, non-detergent oil and old metallurgy in engine design. The oil companies, who actually profit from selling you more, have done the testing and research making their recommendations pretty legit.

Now where would you find a bottle of oil with a JASO rating might I ask. Do you run synthetic oil in your motorcycle? and is there a specific synthetic oil you have found that does include the JASO rating?

Old 08-22-2015, 06:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLX25O
Now where would you find a bottle of oil with a JASO rating might I ask. Do you run synthetic oil in your motorcycle? and is there a specific synthetic oil you have found that does include the JASO rating?
I've seen that rating on all 4 stroke motorcycle specific oils in autozone, motorcycle parts stores and Japanese dealers here in Mexico.

This rating is specified in the manual and I assumed it would be pretty common among name brand motorcycle oils.

That said, I always change at 2k miles, filter every 4k miles. Been using autozone brand 10w-40 car dyno oil because I couldn't find anything but 20w-50 in motorcycle dyno oil, until last change that I got 20w-40 dyno motorcycle oil. Couldn't tell much difference in clutch engagement.

cheers

Old 08-22-2015, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KLX25O

I buy gallons of Shell Rotella at WalMart. Pick a jug up and look at the label, you will see it. As said, I use the petroleum based oil, not synthetic, but I understand the Rotella synthetic has JASO-MA rating too, but I haven't verified that yet. I believe Honda's synthetic was JASO-MA rated and it is bottled by some U.S. company for Honda.

It is a worldwide recognized rating. I think JASO-MB is for crank case only, like a BMW twin or a Harley, but I'd have to look that up again to be sure.

I ran petroleum oil in a Mazda 626 and it got over 275,000 miles so I'm not too worried running that instead of synthetic.