How much do you think a KLX 250 S with a seized engine is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 03:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

That bike is in pretty good shape. Those of us with KLX's know the wear indicators that can't easily be hidden by cleaning and touchup. That bike is in very decent shape. On the price, I find it nearly impossible to qualify that in today's motorcycle market, but I would give that one a thumbs up on being better than most as far as condition.

Is that your bike or one for sale from someone else? If you know, could you elaborate when/how the engine snafu occurred?...and was it with the street or dirt tires when it occurred?

Old 01-13-2020, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I could be wrong, but it looks lowered in the back. Obviously needs the side cover. I'm still thinking $500 or so without having the engine top end apart yet. Fact is there is a B&B 351 cylinder for sale here for $250 or so, I forget. There is also the AHL 299cc kit for under $200, so piston and cylinder no problem

Old 01-13-2020, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
That bike is in pretty good shape. Those of us with KLX's know the wear indicators that can't easily be hidden by cleaning and touchup. That bike is in very decent shape. On the price, I find it nearly impossible to qualify that in today's motorcycle market, but I would give that one a thumbs up on being better than most as far as condition.

Is that your bike or one for sale from someone else? If you know, could you elaborate when/how the engine snafu occurred?...and was it with the street or dirt tires when it occurred?
It’s my bike. My post history paints some of the picture, but let me give you some more. About 3 years ago I bought the bike, had it for 6 months and it had trouble cold starting in the winter months. I tried the electric start until battery died, then roll start, charged the battery and tried electric start again to find it had jumped time and the engine wouldn’t turn over. The starter did enough damage to the head for a shop to say they couldn’t save it. Let it sit a while before I got a used head off eBay last year. Bolted it up in October 2019 and got it running. Ran it about 150 miles before it jumped time again on a street ride with Bridgestone battlax 17” road tires. Was running about 40 mph and 3000 rpm. Wasn’t even accelerating when this happened, just cruising on a flat road behind a few cars. Heard a lot of loose chain noises banging around on some metal inside. The engine shut off immediately so I pulled the clutch in and rode it out to the nearest cul de sac. Couldn’t get the engine to spin over at all afterward. Had to get a truck to get it back home.

I shouldn’t have reused the cam chain and should have replaced the auto cam chain tensioner with a manual one when I replace the head assembly. Lesson learned, but I’m chalking this one up as a loss.

I’ve got the rear left side panel. I had it pulled to show the battery when I put it up for sale.

Last edited by lymbic; 01-13-2020 at 06:05 PM.