How many Hp can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default How many Hp can I expect?

Hi there!

On the website of B&B the 351 big bore kit seen to give up to:

26Hp and Torque 21 with the mikuni and Supertrapp muffler
22Hp and Torque 18 with stock carb and stock muffler.

Wild will has now according to his dyno:
33 Hp and Torque 25 with 351cc bore, new cam, porting and valves job
the link: https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=28826

My questions are:

1. How many hp does the stock klx has?

2. Does anybody has more hp than Wild will has? If yes How?

3. If money isn't a problem, would you just do the big bore, exhaust, carb or doing also the cam, valves job?

4. Do you think that wild will setup is reliable on long term?

5. I ride with friends who have klr 650. More powerfull but more heavy... Will I be able to race them a little more?

Thanks a lot!

Eric

Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey!

Dunno about the other questions but I've read somewhere that the KLX250S devellops a whopping (not) 17.2 hp in stock condition.

Marco.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't comment on actual HP #'s.. But make no mistake, the BB kit will transform your bike greatly if it is currently stock.

I would do the kit, carb and exhaust at first, get it jetted right and live with it for a season. I think the power is fine (unless you're a very big boy) for what the stock suspension can handle. After the bore kit and before getting into further engine mods, I would definitely get the suspension sorted out- spring rates at least. If you need more power at this point, then you could get into cam/valve job territory. You still won't really be making a ton of power though, and the bike will still be heavy and relatively lame in the suspension department. If you were considering a cam/valve job after the 351 kit and real suspension mods, then I'd start considering a KTM/HSQ..

With the big bore kit you will be able to hang with your buddys on 650's unless they're on the highway or in the desert.. (Although I can run at 80mph on the highway, no problem - and I've got 340.. Once there is a turn in the trail though, you will be out in front. It's no motocrosser, but compared to the big KLR's it feels like one.

have fun
~Steve

Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I read somewhere that stock KLX has roughly 17 to 18 too. I agree with Revtor. Like he said there's only so much you can do and money you can put in that you might as well just buy a bigger better bike, something on the line of orange But 351 kit is the best bang for your buck.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:54 PM
1st Gear Member

i dont know about you, but last time i rode with a klr in the tight stuff, he was asking me to pull out of his rear. fire roads, i can see the 351 keeping up.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

It will give you three-hundred and thirty-eight more horse powers to the wheels. Unless you are in the Southern hemisphere or close to the equator, then it will be a little less.

Also, the lunar phases will affect your HP in negative ways. If the moon is full you will lose exactly three HP per lunar flux - on a linear scale perpendicular to the rise and fall of the ocean's tides.

Hope that cleared things up.

Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

perfectly

Old 09-04-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Wow Cuz, I thought you were Oldphart for a minute! I stopped at Skagit Powersports in Burlington, WA yesterday and talked to the owner about the BB 351. 5 or 6 months ago they had a built up demo bike [that I learned about here] Asked him all kinds of ?s. Huge increase in HP and torque. He looked over my bike and said it would be pretty simple since I already have a Powerbomb [ which he figures is needed ] and a good can. As far as the carb goes, he tried Bill's on his dyno and didn't see a difference, went back to stock. Anyhow, I'm now ready to order a 351 kit. Just not sure if I should have one sent that's been built in some other guys cyl or if I should send mine in. Hate to have my ride down during the snail mail time.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Your hpower question is a valid one, it puts numbers and reason to the expense. I have a KLR 650 and now an 09 KLX 250S.

The real question is -- where do you want to ride with the 650s? If you are running fast roads, then maybe you need a bigger engine(bike).

The 650 was beating me up in the dessert last winter, a lot of technical riding and washes to cross in our area. So I picked up a low mileage 250 to ride in the dessert. The power of my 250 is stock and I leave the 650 s behind when we are running through tight bush trails, and I am not that good of a rider. I can stay with them on the fire roads unless they really get foolish with high mph, but then I do not wish to ride that fast and suffer the consequences of a high speed bush bash. Too old to heal that quickly.

I plan to take the 250 south with me this winter and leave the 650 at home.

Old 09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

I won't buy a bigger bike:

I like the size and the weight of the klx
A bigger bike will cost more to plate it...

I do not do highway

For me mod the bike will be as fun as to ride it!

In Canada the winter is so long.... so while I don't do skidoo I wanna mod my klx so I am asking: Beside the bore, pipe, header, carb, what other things can I do to smoke those KLR of my friends?

I think what Wild will did is interesting!

Eric the frenchie

Quick Reply: How many Hp can I expect?