How many Hp can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

If I wanted more power and a heavy bike I would have bought a DRZ 400 or a Honda 650.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

+1. Lookin' at all the bikes in AUS that fit the brief then the DRZ400E was a close second to the KLX. Realistically, nothing came close to the bang for you buck of the KLX. DRZ400E is nearly AUS$2000 more and I don't think you get AUS$2000 more bike. KLX is just as tough as the TTR250 from Yamaha but offers better performance and more mods available. The offerings from the Red and Yellow have the same problems and prices that match the 400E so a no brainer there.

Really the KLX is in a class of its own right now. Still a great low price with fantastic reliability and low maintenance, in a very capable, even with just the free mods, dirt bike.

There seems to be a move by some of the big four to dumb down the 250 'trail' class by offering 'road going' versions of their entry level dirt bikes. Yamaha with its TTR230 and Honda with its CRF 230. Sure they're fun but they don't have the same potential as the KLX or the TTR for that matter. Items of note are the very budget suspension (sprung for your average 12 year old) and the lack of a rear disc brake.

A big part of why the KLX is still a winner is that the other manufacturers don't have a comparative model, at least not down here. Sure you can get a Honda XR250L (on sale at AUS$7990, Usually AUS$8900,) or Yamaha TTR250 (AUS$7899) but they are both substantially more coin than the AUS$6490 I paid for my new KLX250R 18 months ago, and nearing the new cost of the DRZ400E (many available for flat AUS$8K new.)

On recent trip to the UK I also noticed this 'dumming down' of the "small bore" models. Where as previously you could have a 125cc or 250 cc 2 stroke that offered very decent performance, those models have been replaced by 4 stroke models that are lacking to say the least. It's not hard to get 30HP from a 125cc 2 stroke (50HP from a 250,)but the choice at the moment is limiting people to 15HP 4 stroke 125cc machines with no 250cc alternatives available.

Progress!

Who wouldn't want one of these??.....

The 2 stroke twin was based on TZR 250 street sports and delivered 50 HP

"TECHNICAL FEATURES

Engine
While essentially a TZR25O unit, a variety of modifications have been made to better suit engine power delivery with intended use. Lowered first gear ratio (45/14 against the TZR25O's 4 1/14) dramatically improves acceleration while increasing off-road traction. Power is transmitted to the rear wheel via a sealed, continuous-link chain for high durability and low maintenance.

The newly designed "cross-up" exhaust system, featuring "satellite-chrome" plated silencers, is tuned for low- and mid-range power. lt ensures plenty of ground clearance and free rider movement. The 28 mm flat-slide carburetors have been re-jetted to match the different breathing requirements of the new pipe and airbox.
The TDR is the world's first motorcycle to combine a CD ignition with a digital timing advance system. Controlled by a 4-bit microprocessor, it ensures perfect ignition timing at all rpm. The microcomputer also serves as a control unit for the YPVS and side-stand switch, contributing to savings in weight and space.

Aside from the above modifications and new silver paint, the TDR engine shares all the virtues of the TZR unit: efficient case-reed induction with fibre reeds and 28 mm flat-slide carbs; YPVS; sealed liquid-cooling system with lightweight radiator and coolant passageways around the exhaust ports; and Autolube oil injection with YPVS-controlled pump. The TDR also shares the TZR's orthogonal engine mounting system which reduces vibration.

This high-powered stormer will soon be the "quickest bike in town." Maximum speed will exceed 100 mph - quite impressive, when one considers the upright riding position."

What have 21 years of progress given us.......... Pfffffft!

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 09-05-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Considering from then and now, EPA has had their hand in designs of newer motorcycles. Look at the newer 09 KLX. It now has a freaking vapor canister. And its thanks to that wonderfully state of high emission restrictions.

Who was it on here that claimed their KLX at around 50hp or more? I remember they did alot more than just a BB 351. It was a 371 kit of their custom design and they mentioned LOTS of head work.

But in case. If you are looking for more power, than BB 351 is the best bang for your buck. Just stock pipes and all, will grant some more power. And as you are ready to increase more power, just start opening the intake system and exhuast.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Agree with WestOzKLX. The 250 trail bike offerings are pretty poor. The CRF230 and TTR230 are flimsy machines, that are "step up' bikes for junior riders, given street lights etc.

The KLX250 definitely has the most potential of the Japanese 250 offerings, but you do have to spend a few dollars gaining HP and losing weight. I now have a KLX450R and will never sell my modified 250 (now a 300 and thinking 351) as it still fun to ride and so versatile.

That said, if I had to ride a stock 250, I reckon the Suzuki DR250 is the best bike if no mods are allowed.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

CAMS would be good to do while the engine is apart.

CDI would help as well, custom or get you hands on an austrailan spec

in a couple of months im doing

351 kit
Cams
tm 33 carby
timing chain
custom exhaust (friend of mine is a sheet metalist)
14L tank
braided brake lines

im expecting to have 30-40 rwhp. thats with the australian spec bike, so i have the better CDI

all up im expecting to spend $1400 usd give or take.

WHY? because here in australia, it costs $400-500 more a year to own a plated bike over 300cc and because me klx has the engine number for a 250 all i have to do is own my bike for 3 or 4 years and it has paid its self off.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fgk228
CAMS would be good to do while the engine is apart.

CDI would help as well, custom or get you hands on an austrailan spec

in a couple of months im doing

351 kit
Cams
tm 33 carby
timing chain
custom exhaust (friend of mine is a sheet metalist)
14L tank
braided brake lines

im expecting to have 30-40 rwhp. thats with the australian spec bike, so i have the better CDI

all up im expecting to spend $1400 usd give or take.

WHY? because here in australia, it costs $400-500 more a year to own a plated bike over 300cc and because me klx has the engine number for a 250 all i have to do is own my bike for 3 or 4 years and it has paid its self off.

Don't forget the Barnett clutch springs if your aiming for 40HP....Anyone smell burning.LOL

Old 09-05-2009, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

who supplies them, link if you could, thanks

Old 09-05-2009, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 09-05-2009, 10:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Hi there!

I have been talking with my mecanic friend....

So we will do by yourself:

the big bore
increasing the exhaust hole on the side of the cylinder
polish intake and exhaust side of the cylinder
New cam
Squish the head a little bit.
Change the carb to TM 36
Make a custom header and exhaust with results from dyno!

Starting this winter!

I will take pictures of the labor and will show you result form dyno!

It also more costly here to plate an engine more than 400 cc!!!

bye
Eric the frenchie!!

Old 09-06-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

cant wait to compare builds

found this comparison between the drz400 and wr 400 dyno results

http://mcnews.com.au/testing/dr400day.htm

Quick Reply: How many Hp can I expect?