Old 10-16-2006, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HMF exhaust verdict

Here's the nosie quotes from the HMF site:

Stock muffler 80db @ idle.
Stock muffler 88db @ 5,250 rpm.

HMF Slip on open 87db@ idle.
HMF slip on open 95db @5,250 rpm.

HMF slip on w/quiet core insert 80db@ idle.
HMF slip on w/ quiet core insert 89db @ 5,250 rpm.

Adding the QCI did not kill power as it is about the same size as the muffler core.
Removing the QCI takes seconds to do, 3 allen screws remove the tip slip the QCI on and reinstall the tip.
See this:
http://hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415

The best runs are:
#12 BLUE fuel screw 2.0.
#13 RED fuel screw 2.5.

Compare them to run # 16 GREEN with the Quiet Core Insert added, there was no power loss.
Attached Images

As for the muffler interference with the rear fender, Mine was supplied with a longer fastener and spacer.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:26 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

its nice to see the other option for exhausts for the bike, so now we have big gun, muzzy, hmf... is that all?

Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DJFields

Here's the nosie quotes from the HMF site:

Stock muffler 80db @ idle.
Stock muffler 88db @ 5,250 rpm.

HMF Slip on open 87db@ idle.
HMF slip on open 95db @5,250 rpm.

HMF slip on w/quiet core insert 80db@ idle.
HMF slip on w/ quiet core insert 89db @ 5,250 rpm.

Adding the QCI did not kill power as it is about the same size as the muffler core.
Removing the QCI takes seconds to do, 3 allen screws remove the tip slip the QCI on and reinstall the tip.
See this:
http://hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415

The best runs are:
#12 BLUE fuel screw 2.0.
#13 RED fuel screw 2.5.

Compare them to run # 16 GREEN with the Quiet Core Insert added, there was no power loss.
Attached Images

As for the muffler interference with the rear fender, Mine was supplied with a longer fastener and spacer.

Yes, I've already read the thread with sound figures, thanks though.

What I'm concerned about is not what a db meter in the immediate area of the pipe will tell you. This muffler makes a much lower note than the stock exaust. As we all know, low frequencies carry much further than the higher pitched, stock sound will. Same principle if I read 89 db one foot away from the sound of a violin and take a separate reading of a base drum that is also 89 db at that same one foot distance. Go inside my neighbor's house 30 feet away and the bass drum will a lot louder than the violin. I think I'm getting carried away here, but I'm sure you see the point.
I was wondering if anybody had a stop-gap method to further deaden the noise until I get out of my immediate neighborhood and onto a more main road, other than having to push the bike. [8D][8D]

Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

id just ride it... disturbing the peace is only from 10 pm to 7 am... so i just ride...

anyone else think the bike sounds like a quad? i have the big gun and it sounds alot like a quad imo...

Old 10-16-2006, 06:11 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

id just ride it... disturbing the peace is only from 10 pm to 7 am... so i just ride...

anyone else think the bike sounds like a quad? i have the big gun and it sounds alot like a quad imo...

Hehe, Japan treasures their peace and quiet more than any other country I've been in. Noise will drive otherwise passive people to outright violent acts. I usually start my bike at 6:00AM. It sure makes me wish I had one of those jobs that start at 8:00AM or later. Oh well, where there's a will, there's a stubborn thumper rider who finds a way or gets his bike burned to the ground.

I personally haven't heard quads with after market exhausts, so I can't make a very good comparison. We have some Yamaha Grizzly 660's at work that have a pretty good sound to them....even though they we are running the stock pipe. They definitely sound better than this bike does in stock form.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

AH HA, i forgot ur in japan... lots of different laws..... by the way you speak/ write english very well.

Old 10-16-2006, 07:52 PM
1st Gear Member

You know I was Freaked out by how loud I thought the bike was too, even with the insert!
So, I had my wife come out and listen as I drove out the drive and down the road about a mile.
Her reply was "what are you so worried about? It's Fine! You can hardly here when you a few lots downs the road!"
You know I didn't believe her so I had a friend ride it a few days later and guess what??? She was right !!! (ya ya )
It's it amazing how the bike sounds while riding it but the insert obviously attinuates ( I know this is spelled wrong ) the sound so at a distance it disapates.
Works for me !!!!!!

Old 10-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You know I was Freaked out by how loud I thought the bike was too, even with the insert!
So, I had my wife come out and listen as I drove out the drive and down the road about a mile.
Her reply was "what are you so worried about? It's Fine! You can hardly here when you a few lots downs the road!"
Ha ha - my wife said the same thing when I asked if the Muzzy with quiet core was too loud and her response was, "no - it sounds great, it actually sounds like a motorcycle now." I was all concerned before I got it, but after a few rides I wondered how I ever got along without it.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Hehe, Japan treasures their peace and quiet more than any other country I've been in. Noise will drive otherwise passive people to outright violent acts. I usually start my bike at 6:00AM. It sure makes me wish I had one of those jobs that start at 8:00AM or later. Oh well, where there's a will, there's a stubborn thumper rider who finds a way or gets his bike burned to the ground.

I personally haven't heard quads with after market exhausts, so I can't make a very good comparison. We have some Yamaha Grizzly 660's at work that have a pretty good sound to them....even though they we are running the stock pipe. They definitely sound better than this bike does in stock form.
I start mine at 2.30am some days to go to work, thats why I don't want more noise. I'm guessing my neighbours would wan't a lynching if I did that (I'd be the same if some goose started a noisy bike at 2.30am)

Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM

She was right !!! (ya ya )

Man, don't ya' just hate it when that happens! [sm=bustedsign.gif]