HMF Exhaust is on :D

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Default HMF Exhaust is on :D

Its on, its loud, it kicks ***.

Its rubbing against my fender ever so slightly... so It melted a little plastic after my first test run. But its in the shop now and out of gas (Thanks to my carb FUBARs) and I had to put it on reserve to make it to work a few mornings ago.

I did noticed an increase in power in the top end, it will clutch in a wheelie pretty easily now in first and hold it up to around 9 grand.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Default RE: HMF Exhaust is on :D

ORIGINAL: IchWarriorMkII

Its on, its loud, it kicks ***.

Its rubbing against my fender ever so slightly... so It melted a little plastic after my first test run. But its in the shop now and out of gas (Thanks to my carb FUBARs) and I had to put it on reserve to make it to work a few mornings ago.

I did noticed an increase in power in the top end, it will clutch in a wheelie pretty easily now in first and hold it up to around 9 grand.

IchWarriorMkII,

Okay, I've read your eval and I'm liking what I hear.

Now, have you done the "Flange Mod" on your header pipe?

You mentioned "LOUD" . . . please tell me you don't have the "Quiet Core" in at this time.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:50 PM

No flange mod... havent ever heard of that mod D:

I just threw the pipe in as it came to me, so it probably doesnt have the quiet core. Is that a seperately purchased item?

Its a fire breather monster! (Literally, it barks a blue flame every so often)

Illl do a better write up with pictures after work, when I calm down a little

Old 10-31-2006, 12:21 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

[sm=bling.gif] [sm=nxsmile.gif] [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 10-31-2006, 02:56 AM

Okay so now that I've calmed down a bit :

I ordered this pipe from PowerSportsFx.com. It was the only online store that I could find (Other than straight from HMF I assume) when I googled my little **** off for it. I believe the price came out to $240... and it took almost 20 days to get out here. PowerSports said the delay was in UPS's hands... I do give them props for customer service when I emailed them about my pipe getting here. They emailed me back promptly, and gave me a phone call. By that time, the pipe had been in UPS's hands for a few days (According to their tracking info). I dont know why they dont issue the tracking numbers as S.O.P. but thats more or less a moot point.

Now for the exhaust:

DAMN ITS LIGHT! Its a lot more sexy than the stock pipe, and lighter. Its a deep deep growl that has a throaty growl in the high end. The performance seemed to be there more in the high end, I couldn't notice a lot... as I was beeming down the alley beyond the work shop (I had parked it there a few days prior due to a blizzard) Im currently waiting for a ride to go pick it up to go ride it home in the dark. Again, not sure if the quiet core is sold with the pipe from PSfX.com or not... but right now its loud. I would definatly rate it in obnoxious loud... but thats no issue for me... Im in a super rural area. I might consider a quiet core in the Cops hassle me over it, but I get blown off the road with straight piped trucks ALL the time...

It did rub against my fender at the end of the can. The exhaust came with a long bolt and spacer to scoot the pipe out from the frame, but it appears to not be enough. However, the only point of contact is a rivet, so its not going to melt a massive peice of plastic and ruin the exhaust. So far, the rejet and opening both ends of the motor has done wonders for this machine. I would consider a cam as my next mod, but I also might go for Vapor Trail Tech guages (or Guage) and some bark busters over more motor mods. This is, my first machine I've ever modded so extensivly, and its a blast. A big thanks to the support, and flow of knowledge here to give me a hand. Now Marty, get that cam shaft and report back

Old 10-31-2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the report.

Might have to put my order in for an HMF slip on!

The "Flange Mod" is one that I had not heard of either. Cwgoff told me he had read about it at another website for the KLX.

Seems as though the welding on the flange is not done be a super-skilled person. The weld is probably just globbed on to hold the flange in place. A die grinder will improve the flow of the pipe and make an improvement. How much? I don't know I have not done mine yet. But I'll let you know.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:04 PM

Sounds good, Marty.

After running around some more last night in the dark, I find that the pipe lets me pull from 6 grand up, hard. Me thinks a cam shaft is all I need to launch my 120lbs at a suitable rate.

How much and where do I buy?

Old 10-31-2006, 05:03 PM

I've got my specially modified, pseudo semi-scientific Ouija Board out right at this moment trying to come up with the answer!

At least I've got it narrowed down to two choices - Web Cams #101 or #293.

I know, it's the #101.

No, the #293 is better for trail riding.

But the #101 is really going to come alive with the 331 cc changes and pumper carb.

Err, I'm still working the issue right now - more to follow!

Old 10-31-2006, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad to here you like the pipe!
As for the fit, I had no issues when I installed the spacer and longer nolt.
I have approx. 3mm clearance.
Maybe check with HMF as to the correctly supplied spacer. The HMF people are great to work with and respond quickly.

Quick Reply: HMF Exhaust is on :D