HMF exhaust verdict

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Member
Default HMF exhaust verdict

Well after work today I put on the HMF pipe. Absolutely a great looking pipe. Everything fit well. However I had to put a spacer for the rear bolt or the pipe was going to rub the rear plastic. No big deal, just needed a long bolt and 5 lock washers. The side fender plastic and header fit perfectly with the new the pipe. Visually the bike really tranforms with the addition of a aftermarket pipe. I got the polished option.

The pipe came with a spark arrestor and a spark arrestor/quiet core insert. Without the quiet core I had the neighbours peeking outside. Its pretty damn loud. I think in the woods ripping down trails/looging roads I will ride without the quiet core. In the city I will definetaly use the quiet core. I like the options you get. The quiet core isn't needed in Canada, but I like having a US forest service approaved spark arrestor quiet core insert. Just incase the KLX goes south. Who knows, thing could change in Canada with bike exhaust restrictions and than I will be glad I got the extra inserts. I don't think I could do long road rides were the rpm's are high for long periods and not use the quiet core. I would get a headache after awhile.

The performance was certainly noticable. The new power I gained was all in the high end. The low end 3000-5500rpm's felt the same, but when I got above 5500rpm the bike pulled harder. Also the bike seems to rev quicker and smoother. When that little piston is moving fast the HMF pipe allows it to exhale a little easier.

The results: lose 3.5lbs, gain a little HP and torque, sound and look good, increase exhaust verstility. How can you go wrong. I would like a little more zing, but the KLX is doing everyting I knew it would. I plan on riding this bike for many years to come. If I want that much more snap than I will buy a MX 4-stroke. The fact is the KLX for its price is probably the best dualsport you can get at this time in North America. For my size 5'9" 178lbs its a great fit.
That's my two cents.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HMF exhaust verdict

Congrats! [sm=bling.gif] [sm=nxsmile.gif]

Post up some photos if you get a chance.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:18 AM

Arggg!

Still waiting for mine to come in! Pics of the pipe and bike!

Old 10-14-2006, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll take some pics next week. I'm going salmon fishing for the weekend. I've got a grin from ear to ear. I love that pipe. The best addition on the bike so far.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greenmachine

I'll take some pics next week. I'm going salmon fishing for the weekend. I've got a grin from ear to ear. I love that pipe. The best addition on the bike so far.

Waaaaah! Moderator, dock him some points for being tardy with pics Can't wait to see yer pipe, bro, but I guess I'll bite the bullet until next week. I'm about 80% decided on a Staintune system, but if there's a large bore header that mates-up with this pipe, you could save about 200 bucks.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:20 PM

Is the HMF "pipe" just the slip-on, or the whole system (header, mid-pipe, and silencer)?

Also, did you do any jetting/airbox changes before or during the "pipe" upgrade? I'd like to add a new silencer but avoid carb/airbox changes.

Thanx, Lance

Old 10-14-2006, 09:20 PM

Its just a slip on, no header.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Without the quiet core I had the neighbours peeking outside. Its pretty damn loud.
Soooo, with the quiet core installed how loud is it compared to stock? I guess what I want to know is would it disturb the neighors early in the morning with the choke on?

Old 10-16-2006, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know how close your neighbors are to you, but you probably will bother them in the morning during start up. When I fired it up the first time with the choke I was suprised how loud it was. The sound is very deep, like bass. We all know how loud bass travels. I live in a house with properties fairly close and to keep the peace I wouldn't start the bike in the early morning. What goes around comes around.

With the quiet core in, the exhaust is way louder then stock. HMF says the DB is the same with the quiet core vs stock, but I say no way. If your starting up in the morning to commute every day, just use the quiet core. The power dif isn't really big. The quiet core maybe restricts the flow a little at high rpm's. Thats what HMF says.

It really is a nice pipe, worth the wait.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know how close your neighbors are to you, but you probably will bother them in the morning during start up. When I fired it up the first time with the choke I was suprised how loud it was. The sound is very deep, like bass. We all know how loud bass travels. I live in a house with properties fairly close and to keep the peace I wouldn't start the bike in the early morning. What goes around comes around.

With the quiet core in, the exhaust is way louder then stock. HMF says the DB is the same with the quiet core vs stock, but I say no way. If your starting up in the morning to commute every day, just use the quiet core. The power dif isn't really big. The quiet core maybe restricts the flow a little at high rpm's. Thats what HMF says.

It really is a nice pipe, worth the wait.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I might have to push it a block or so before starting, even with quiet core in! Oh well, priorities, I guess it's just one of life's sacrifices Nothin like a light workout to start the day.

Quick Reply: HMF exhaust verdict