help! with Two Brothers M7 install.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default help! with Two Brothers M7 install.....

Right now TBR can kiss my a$$. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to get their S-bend pipe into the header pipe for the M7 exhaust install on my 2009 KLX250SF.

Per their instructions.... "and slide the slip-on tube into the headpipe."

Slide my a$$.

And yes the gasket from the stock muffler is removed.

I have no idea how to connect this as it seems the TBR pipe is too large (diameter).

Anyone have ideas ???? Please....

Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

A muffler shop may be able to expand the piece some for you, I remember some posts like this before, and I think that was the solution.

Old 01-29-2011, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I was able to "expand" it my own way.

Got the pipe on but I still think that S bend pipe isn't correct.

See the below pictures...

Name:  TBRpipe1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  TBRpipe2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  45.4 KB

The pipe does not have any play in it to prevent it from touching the airbox (I believe)-- it's plastic [second pic] and the metal by the passenger foot peg [first pic].

It gets better...

Name:  TBRpipe3.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  TBRpipe4.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  35.9 KB

It also does not line up with the top attachment point on the muffler. The S bend pipe is jammed in as far as it will go. In fact the pipe hits the airbox and metal by the passenger foot peg preventing it from going forward (towards the header) so the attachment point can line up. When I force the bolt to hold the top part of the muffler, it doesn't line up so there is a gap at the top of the bolt while the bottom part of the bolt digs into the mounting plastic of the TBR muffler.

And this is how the S bend pipe looks after trying to work it in as far as it would go.

Name:  TBRpipe5.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  40.7 KB

And what REALLY sucks is I cannot use the stock muffler right now since I do not have a replacement gasket.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh yeah... it's LOUD.

I also bought the P1-X sound suppressor and installed it. To be honest I really couldn't tell a difference in the sound (without and with the P1-X). It's not "bad" but it's louder than I thought, especially with the sound suppressor in. Now I can hear why it's called a thumper since that's the sound, a loud thump... thump... thump... thump...

I do think it's louder than my Harley which has Screamin' Eagle pipes installed.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Even with the Fmf pipe you have to bend th triangle brace out quite a bit but it don't matter. It might help, looks good otherwise. I did the same thing with the Harley and I know what you mean about the sound but it's ok.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you have to bend the triangle tab in order to move the pipe around. I have a FMF on mine and once I bent that piece out the pipe went in with no problems.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya same here I just put on the FMF and the bend to the triangle is a must. And loosen up your header bolts and you can get some more movement out of the pipe.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:49 PM
1st Gear Member

How did you bend the triangle? Also, does it touch the airbox like mine above?

Admittedly, I'm a bit shocked that the TBR and FMF have this issue. How can they sell it as a bolt-on when you have to modify the bike in order for it to fit?

Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

definitely get it away from your air box. Pipe will melt it for sure. Bikes before the "09"s didn't have the little foot guard triangle. Mfgs probably didn't check much when the new model came out.
Dan

Old 01-30-2011, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 407guy
How did you bend the triangle? Also, does it touch the airbox like mine above?
I simply took a claw hammer and used the claw part through the gaurd. Just take your time doing it. Some of the paint will chip off in the process. And the pipe on the FMF is no where near the air box.

Quick Reply: help! with Two Brothers M7 install.....