help with LED turn signal install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:30 AM
1st Gear Member

I have LEDs on the back[stocker lost fight with big Fir tree] and stockers on front. They blink a bit faster but work ok. Local shop had a $50.00 flash thing to put on if I went all LED.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by turnsleft
I have LEDs on the back[stocker lost fight with big Fir tree] and stockers on front. They blink a bit faster but work ok. Local shop had a $50.00 flash thing to put on if I went all LED.
currently mine is the same, stock in the front and LED rear it works fine, i just want LED in the front aswell.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan151
just try switching the (+) and (-) wires on each of the turn signals? or the indicator bulb located on the dash?
I would try on the turn signas first as it's easier to get to. I suspect the indicator bulb on the dash is also a diode (LED) which is what is causing the problem. Switching the polarity on the turn signals will not cause any damage to them so don't stress doing it. Do a quick test at first just in case you fear something "bad" will happen (but it won't).

Old 11-09-2011, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
I would try on the turn signas first as it's easier to get to. I suspect the indicator bulb on the dash is also a diode (LED) which is what is causing the problem. Switching the polarity on the turn signals will not cause any damage to them so don't stress doing it. Do a quick test at first just in case you fear something "bad" will happen (but it won't).
i believe the dash light is a regular bulb (incandescent), and is causing all four turn signals to light up at the same time because its allowing current to flow both ways while the rest of the bulbs are LED, for now im going to just unplug it, so i can figure out why they are all so dim and not flashing

Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Using resistors to make LED turn signals flash is primitive. Buy an electronic flasher. They are less than $15.00

The indicator light is a separate issue. Power is supplied to it at either terminal depending on whether the left or right turn signals are engaged. The opposite terminal is grounded through the non-flashing turn signal bulbs.

To make it work with LEDs, both leads to the indicator lamp must be disconnected. Two diodes are needed. Each of the wires (that originally went to the indicator lamp) is attached to the anode of a diode. The cathodes of the diodes are connected together and are connected to one lead of the indicator lamp. The other indicator lamp lead is connected to ground.

Ron

Old 11-10-2011, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
...Switching the polarity on the turn signals will not cause any damage to them so don't stress doing it. Do a quick test at first just in case you fear something "bad" will happen (but it won't).
I suppose that depends on the design of the turn signal units...

I've only been working with electronics since somewhere around 1975, but in my experience; swapping polarity on an LED will normally fry it (unless there's additional circuitry, like a dropping resistor to protect it).

Old 11-10-2011, 05:20 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Don't use load resistors yuck

I mounted led flashers, all I had to do was use the correct (led) flasher unit and remove my flasher repeater light from the dash. Worked perfectly.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
I mounted led flashers, all I had to do was use the correct (led) flasher unit and remove my flasher repeater light from the dash. Worked perfectly.
im going to give this a try tomorrow hopefully i get the same result!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
My old Kaw 550 LTD had these wonderful self-cancelling signals. I almost t-boned a car once, when the resistor apparently failed and the signals never cancelled themselves.

If you ride any roads at all, knowing you forgot to cancel your signal seems like pretty important feedback - feedback you're now missing. Then again, if you're switching to LEDS that nobody can see anyway, it probably doesn't make much of a difference whether the signal is left on or not...

Yes; the stock signals are big and dorky, but at least other drivers can see them. I guess I'm just getting too old to compromise safety. I'd rather ride home *once* with a busted signal, than ride *all the time* with tiny, dim ones, nobody can see. YMMV

Old 11-11-2011, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
snip-snip...

Yes; the stock signals are big and dorky, but at least other drivers can see them. I guess I'm just getting too old to compromise safety. I'd rather ride home *once* with a busted signal, than ride *all the time* with tiny, dim ones, nobody can see. YMMV
I agree.

I'm not familiar with the 2009+ bikes, but my 2006 has excellent turn signals. In fact, they were brighter than the turn signals on my 2011 V-Strom until I did this:

The LED rings are made with super bright LEDs and sit at the base of the bulbs. Not only do they add lots more light, they act as reflectors. Suzuki cheaped out and didn't use any reflectors.

Ron

Quick Reply: help with LED turn signal install