help with LED turn signal install

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default help with LED turn signal install

im in the process of replacing all four stock turn signals on my 07' 250s with smaller LED ones. I wired the rear ones and everything works fine. When i plug in the front two and hit the turn signal button, they all seem to faintly illuminate (not flashing), and the indicator light on the dash doesn't come on.

any suggestions where the problem is?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

LEDs offer almost NO resistance to get the flasher working. You need to add load resistors! They're pretty common items... should have come with the upgrade kit...

Last edited by rgoers; 11-08-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
LEDs offer almost NO resistance to get the flasher working. You need to add load resistors!
how do i go about doing this, and where can one be purchased?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 PM
1st Gear Member

will i need to add a resistor for each of the turn signals?

Old 11-08-2011, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I think one for each pair will do.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

i read on another forum that changing the flasher relay to an electronic one from an autoparts store can solve the problem.

anybody else tried this? other suggestions?

Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

There's some old threads around here showing resister setup and also changing out the flasher unit for an LED conversion.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
There's some old threads around here showing resister setup and also changing out the flasher unit for an LED conversion.
had a root around some other threads and i guess tomorrow im going to try unplugging my dash light and see if that solves anything as thats the only incandescent bulb left in the circuit, and probably pick up an LED flasher relay and some diodes and see if that is my fix

Old 11-09-2011, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Because the LED is a "Diode" which only allows current to flow one way through it, what migh of happened is that putting your LED lights in has counted another diode. Try simply switching the wires (+ve and -ve) around at the indicators and see if that fixes it.

The lights will just flick quicker if you don't wire a resistor in line (or parallel) with the LED indicators - they will still work though.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Arctra
Because the LED is a "Diode" which only allows current to flow one way through it, what migh of happened is that putting your LED lights in has counted another diode. Try simply switching the wires (+ve and -ve) around at the indicators and see if that fixes it.

The lights will just flick quicker if you don't wire a resistor in line (or parallel) with the LED indicators - they will still work though.
just try switching the (+) and (-) wires on each of the turn signals? or the indicator bulb located on the dash?

Quick Reply: help with LED turn signal install