help identifying part

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hoot
Yes. And while you're at it, search for some info on the carb vent hose "Y" mod
This is particularly helpful if you plan to do any creek crossings or otherwise run in water deep enough to cover the ends of the vent hoses you'll route to the swingarm. If you're not riding through water like that, don't worry about the "Y" mod. It would be nice if you could find another KLX owner and see how this works on an actual bike.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xcrcarpenter
So that whole thing is a wast of time and space? (I'm sure someone was proud of their creation), but you think route those down and out the back with the rest, and trash the canister contraption?
Only a waste if you don't believe there is a pollution problem in CA. I'm thinking there probably is in LA.

Interesting observation... the pollution system eventually ends the breather in the air box, why not just insert the breathers into the air box rather than leave them dangling? Skip the whole Y mod. Any thoughts?

Last edited by klx678; 11-15-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, thank you guys for all the input. I am still curious what those hoses do/where the go in stock form.....

Another question: the airbox has a kind of sump with a drain line guiding down to a sight tube (like an empty fuel filter) that hangs real low. my airbox is missing its lid I'm sure to help it "breath" with the fmf exhaust. recently I was riding in such bad conditions that the drain pipe filled with a gravel/mud slurry and the airbox filled with enough water to drain through the crankcase breather into my oil and get a chocolate milk mess!! I know, I should get a lid and snorkel if I'm riding like that i guess...(not sure how that will change jetting?) i didn't put the site tube or plug back in after i got it all cleaned back up. I was thinking a free drain is better with no lid. seem right to you?

Old 11-16-2016, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Why not just insert the breathers into the airbox rather than leave them dangling?.. because they don't just breathe vapor. Under certain conditions they will burp some liquid fuel. Liquid needs a clear gravity path downward. The "Y" mod lets the liquid drain down and also (and more importantly) when a vacuum condition exists in those hoses, it prevents whatever water you might be crossing to be sucked up into the carb.

As far as the sight tube and plug... no problem leaving them off. You'll probably rip them off on a log anyway Occasionally i find a small spot of fuel on the garage floor. If you are hyper concerned about leaving a drop of fuel in nature, plug it up. Otherwise no problem.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Thank you, I appreciate the help. here a few pics if my airbox debacle......

Attached Thumbnails help identifying part-img_6221.jpg   help identifying part-img_6243.jpg   help identifying part-img_6271.jpg  
Old 11-16-2016, 08:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xcrcarpenter
Well, thank you guys for all the input. I am still curious what those hoses do/where the go in stock form.....

Another question: the airbox has a kind of sump with a drain line guiding down to a sight tube (like an empty fuel filter) that hangs real low. my airbox is missing its lid I'm sure to help it "breath" with the fmf exhaust. recently I was riding in such bad conditions that the drain pipe filled with a gravel/mud slurry and the airbox filled with enough water to drain through the crankcase breather into my oil and get a chocolate milk mess!! I know, I should get a lid and snorkel if I'm riding like that i guess...(not sure how that will change jetting?) i didn't put the site tube or plug back in after i got it all cleaned back up. I was thinking a free drain is better with no lid. seem right to you?
I'd say get a lid and the KDX200 snorkel, it has twice the cross sectional area of the stock one, actually as large as the tube between the air box and carb mouth. You might also consider getting a new foam filter too. They do work as well or better than the K&N for off roading. If they didn't, all the MX and enduro guys would be running K&N.

You may be able to score a cover here or on ebay, the part number for the snokel is in the Cheap Mods link in my signature.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hoot
Why not just insert the breathers into the airbox rather than leave them dangling?.. because they don't just breathe vapor. Under certain conditions they will burp some liquid fuel. Liquid needs a clear gravity path downward. The "Y" mod lets the liquid drain down and also (and more importantly) when a vacuum condition exists in those hoses, it prevents whatever water you might be crossing to be sucked up into the carb.

As far as the sight tube and plug... no problem leaving them off. You'll probably rip them off on a log anyway Occasionally i find a small spot of fuel on the garage floor. If you are hyper concerned about leaving a drop of fuel in nature, plug it up. Otherwise no problem.
Seems to me the bottom of the air box is below carb level, so a burp of fuel wouldn't do much other than slightly enrich the mix as it evaporates away... or it will go down the drain tube with no ill effect.

More thoughts?