Heated gear blowing fuses, why?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

OK, so I went for the q-tip alcohol cleaning. Thought what could it hurt, it isn't working now.
In the photo of the tail light without the lens cover, the black electronic gizmo, behind it is one of those blue gizmos(that whole board was loose - the o-rings between it and the housing had crushed and the board could wiggle around). While cleaning rust around it, the connector broke on one end. So thus ends my Edge tail light.
I'll try contacting them about getting a replacement. But am doubtful since I opened the light. We'll see. It was supposed to be waterproof. I've never submersed it, but I've been through some wet places, wetter than last week, just without the salt.
I might just have to pony up for a new light assembly, take it apart, seal the crap out of it, then install it. Too bad they didn't do that. Must be a profit enhancement program.
At least I won't get as much crap on me with the stock plastic fender.
Salt - it's my new enemy, striking it's first blow early in the winter long fight.

Last edited by MaximusPrime; 12-16-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

if you have an electronics store there are special sprays for circuit boards, sprays to sort of clean and coat it for protection
but then its survived this long with whatever has been trapped in there
if you do use alcohol again at an electronics store there is a higher percentage amount
because the stuff at a pharmacy shop is probably lower and will have water in it which will end up back in there

Old 12-18-2012, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Is your fuse located where it's susceptible to vibration? The fuse for the heated grips I installed on my Buell kept blowing initially. I traced every millimeter of wiring for shorts, tested the impedance in the grips, and replaced the controller before I tried relocating the fuse so that it wasn't subject to the constant vibes coming from that archaic V-twin!
Turns out that's all it was.

Last edited by go cytocis; 12-18-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 AM
1st Gear Member

"Salt - it's my new enemy, striking it's first blow early in the winter long fight."

Make sure you pay special attention to the chain lube during winter; the salt spray is a killer. It greatly reduces chain life!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:48 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, thought I fixed the problem. I removed an excess pig tail and cleaned up how it was all situated. Hit the fuse holder with dielectric grease and after putting the fuse in I taped the cover on the fuse holder shut. That fixed it and I had happy feet until today.
When I touched the two ends to connect them, there was a visible and audible spark(not the first time). Then no heat. I, of course, left the 3A fuses at work and everything is closed until Wed.
Back to 2 pairs of socks for now.
So I guess it's time to call Gerbing's and ask what I do about it. Seems like a bad plug to me. I shouldn't be able to touch + to - with a coax plug, or so I thought.