Have put in mobil1 0W40 into my klx 250S

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 10:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Duomike
klx678, I'd have bought the bike versions of the mobil1 oil if available in my area.
Anyway, a friends runs this car mobil1 in his scooter for more than 60.000 km without problems. In fact at 60.000 km he had the engine opened. The mechanic who opened could not believe how clean the engine was at this milage and called his boss to have a look. That is important for me as I plan to run the KLX for at least 100.000 Km.

Also with the car mobil1 the gear shifting is a lot smoother than with the additives containing original Kawasaki JASO MA oil. What does that tell you???
So, my 650 didn't shift any different with synthetic, what does that tell you?

Tells me it may or may not make a gear box/clutch work smoother. Mobil1 did better in my 83 Gold Wing. I ran it longer between changes too, so I benefited. But I change oil a bit more often in the dual sport, plus the big bore has always blown off a bit of oil through the breather set up, so not enough gain to be worth paying far more for same results.

Your posts point out you're playing with a different deck of cards at your location so that plays a part in what you will buy too.

I will say in all the years I worked in a bike shop in sales, parts and motorcycle set up, a small shop where I got to go back in service frequently for "in shop vacations", I never saw an actual oil failure in an engine. Only lack of oil failures. So honestly I cannot say even cheap recycled oil is bad, nor can I say the highest dollar synthetic is better when it comes to lubrication against wear.

All I say is if one is going to hedge by going synthetic - and the oil is available - wouldn't one get the JASO-MA oil? As noted, your situation isn't the same as most other countries. That is why I do JASO-MA petroleum oil, not because I know it will do better but rather for the tiny difference in cost I'll hedge my bet.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member

You are right, my situation is different. On mobil1's indo webpage they even do not list the bike version, just 2 car versions. Castrol OTOH does list the synthetic bike oil. When I visited several castrol dealers on neighboring bali island they looked at me in a strange way when asked about this oil. Apparently nobody ever wanted to buy it, too expensive for the locals here with their scooters.

When in Germany later this summer I can get any oil I want online for my ZZR. Checked the prices, bike synthetic is twice as high as car synthetic. My ZZR will get the car mobil1

Old 06-14-2015, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey, only key point is clutch slippage - if it doesn't slip the oil is fine. As I've said before, in all the years around the bike shop, I've never seen or heard of an actual oil failure - the oil breaking down and causing damage. I've seen oil starvation problems. If the oil ain't there, ain't nothin' you can do.

From there, my only comment was if one is going to spend the big bucks why not go all the way with synthetic motorcycle oil? Clearly you are indicating there is a limit to what you will spend and I will not actually find fault with that... after all, I'm running lower buck dyno oil only staying with the JASO-MA. My reason for that is so I don't have any sort of concerns with anything that may affect engine/gear box/clutch adversely and a secondary plus in that there may be a bit of some additives that may be good. AKA - I got oil in my engine and my clutch ain't gonna slip unless it's just plain wore out.

More power to the ZZR... like it needs it, right?

Last edited by klx678; 06-14-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:25 AM

Shell Rotella T 15W-40 is a very popular oil among big bore street and dirt riders
The Rotella T-6 5W-40 synthetic version is JASO approved for those that are concerned about that.

Old 07-11-2015, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by fossill
Shell Rotella T 15W-40 is a very popular oil among big bore street and dirt riders
The Rotella T-6 5W-40 synthetic version is JASO approved for those that are concerned about that.
Then apparently both are. I run the standard Rotella diesel oil, rated JASO-MA, because I figure what the heck, if there's some additive that is good for the bike I'll take it.