Hard shifting into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

half clutching is normal for 6 speed gearboxes====I noticed the 5 speeds i've ridden didnt need this===but I own a GSXR 750 and I half to half clutch first gear and it had became second nature===when I bought this 06 klx250s I all ready was used to doing it and didnt notice I had to half clutch it until I read this post======Ever seen an indy car try to grab first gear in a pit stop? they have to half clutch 1st gear also====

Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I have owned a dozen or more dual sport bikes, and never had shifting problems like this bike has. I have tried half clutching, rocking bike back and forth. The only thing that works well is shifting into neutral while coasting with clutch in. Somewhere on the net is an article on how to modify the star wheel or replace it with a different one.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

shift star mod on planetklx? its under tech tips tab but the link you can click to buy the kit takes me to a search page instead of a business. But I dont know if this is for our bikes or a klx300 ====I kinda like to know if it fits our 250s=====I had 1st to 2nd gear shift issues every now and then====when I had this issue on my street bike==I installed a short shift kit which was basically a bigger spring than the stock spring===I can see the same style of spring in the pictures, and it fixed the 1st to 2nd false neutral shifts on my street bike, so I am guessing if our bike has a shift star that can be upgraded, that would cure the occasional false neutral===could be the new tech 8 boots I just got, which is most likely the case cause I can no longer feel the shifter or brake or footpegs for that matter. The good news is, I no longer feel the rocks bouncing off my feet and in the single track trails tree branches and obstacles dont hurt anymore )

Old 06-20-2009, 05:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I've found with mine that the shifting seems exceptionally harsh and noisy while downshifting but not so bad upshifting. I'll try half-clutching and see if that makes a difference. I was ready to go to the dealer and complain about it as well but if it's normal, well.....guess I'll have to live with it and adapt!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Thanks – clgdswr-that is the web site that I have been looking for.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 AM
1st Gear Member

I'd like to know the outcome of this shift star issue please......I am wondering if it might cure my recent bought of 1st gear to neutral shifting instead of 1st to 2nd like I am trying to do. Or its the fact I am wearing MX boots for the first time in my life and I need to learn to ride again. I'll keep an eye out for what happens with your shifting issues.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
I'd like to know the outcome of this shift star issue please.......
I thought Kawasaki sorted this out a while back.
Either way, it can take a bit of getting used to MX boots when it comes to shifting.
You adjust the lever position so the boot will slide under the lever, only to find that it takes a firmer up lift to shift up a gear.
This is most noticeable when going from 1st to 2nd.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:30 AM
1st Gear Member

2009 models reference improved shifting geometry or something similar. Maybe it's a stronger spring, different gears, or the star shifter mod.

In my 2007, old oil makes my shifting problematic. After about a 1,000 miles I get false neutrals in addition to the other issues mentioned. It does irk me to hit a 3rd to 4th shift under hard acceleration only to find my self in neutral.

Is the 6 speed transmission the problem? Is it a classic Kawasaki problem? Or, just an artifact of the way the gears are cut?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't consider this a problem. I have always shifted while moving. I hit neutral while rolling to a stop and that's where I leave it until I ride again. I usually coast to stop lights with the clutch in and drop down to 1st while rolling. I've done this on every bike I've ever owned or ridden. She drops right into first for me when first starting out for the day. It is actually is quite normal for any trans to have trouble if stopped and then trying to shift into neutral. Be at one with the machine. If you stop in first, then the teeth of the gears are "locked" together as they should be. The star really doesn't have anything to do with that fact. This is a finely crafted transmission with minimal tolerances. That's a good thing. Not a bunch of slop and play in the transmission. As for false neutrals, It's technique. Click it up like you mean it. None of this whimpy "maybe I want 2nd gear" crap. As time goes by, the bike will get worn in to the way you ride it.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

My '09 was hard to get into neutral when stopped. When I did my 600 mile service I found there was too much free play in the clutch lever which resulted in the clutch not fully disengaging. After adjusting the clutch lever for proper amount of free play it now slips easily into neutral when stopped.

Norm