Hard shifting into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Hard shifting into neutral

My 07 KLX is very hard to shift into neutral while stopped. It feels like the shifter is stuck, if the bike is moving it will shift into neutral fine. From what I have read Kawasaki fixed this shifting problem on the 09 KLX. Will the 09 updated shifting wheel bolt into the 07 KLX? Has anyone else had this annoying shifting problem? Bike is low K and has not been dropped .

Old 06-19-2009, 04:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool

Let your clutch out a bit ( or maybe even two bits ) Don't know about the 07 to 09 fix. I have an 06 and the afore mentioned slip worked for me. First time I've seen you on the forum. Welcome, man! I'm south of you a ways in the US. Later.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:14 AM

Have you tried changing your oil? I'd recommend trying that first. After that, I'd try to use about half clutch for the final shift to first, or shift before you come to a complete stop.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:37 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I have done a few oil changes, I am using Amsoil synthetic. If I shift before stopping it is fine.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Shifting has been my only real complaint with the KLX. Mostly neutral to first and first to second. I changed to silkolene synthetic to see if it would help, no difference.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 AM
1st Gear Member

A mate and I both bought our 06's on the same day.
He had trouble selecting neutral when stopped and I didn't.
We never did get to the bottom of it.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:47 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually the symptoms that you describe are quite normal. The half clutch pull is exactly how you do it. I have become so good at finding neutral, I can give the bike a slight tap down even going 25 mph and it drops right in there. Just remember as you come to a stop, you need to be shifting down. But in case you stop in 3rd, all you have to do is hold your foot on the shifter and pump the clutch, it will drop right into second and then first. Its all good. Just takes practice.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:18 PM
1st Gear Member

When you come to a stop in gear, there is tension on the gears that causes them to bind. Rocking you motorcycle back and forth and/or letting the clutch out a little releases the tension.

From a cold start in neutral, going to first can hampered by the square teeth on the gears meeting. Rock your motorcycle back and forth a few inches and it will slip into first just fine.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Wow, I can't believe you guys have to have a "system" to get your bikes into neutral. I'd be aggravated as hell if mine had that problem. I'd get a dealer or someone else to look into fixing it permanently. Bike's aren't suppose to do that. Pull in the clutch, shift to neutral or any other gear, release clutch. That's it! Shouldn't matter if you're riding or sitting still. Just my $.02.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Actually the symptoms that you describe are quite normal. The half clutch pull is exactly how you do it. I have become so good at finding neutral, I can give the bike a slight tap down even going 25 mph and it drops right in there. Just remember as you come to a stop, you need to be shifting down. But in case you stop in 3rd, all you have to do is hold your foot on the shifter and pump the clutch, it will drop right into second and then first. Its all good. Just takes practice.
That might be normal for a Kawasaki but the Hondas I've had, about six of them were smooth shifting, not notchy like the KLX.

Quick Reply: Hard shifting into neutral