Handguards for a KLX250S...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 PM
1st Gear Member

been eyeing the Zeta handguards, any opinions anyone? talk me out of them?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 PM
jxg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LCubanaso
I have Moose Racing curved handguards on my DR650. They are quite good. The DR has been down hard quite a few times without any damage. About all I can complain about is having to scrape dirt/debris out of between the plastic shields and the metal guard

I went with the Cycra's for the KLX for two reasons. First, they appear to be a little stronger than the Moose guards (could just be perception). Second, I like the look of the Cycra's over the Moose.
remount the plastic with a bead of silicone and the debris doesn't get caught in there...

Old 04-19-2011, 10:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
What's that on the end of your lever?
Heat shrink to cover the lever ends when I cut them off.

Name:  ALIM0805.jpg
Views: 3138
Size:  46.4 KB

Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

So at the very end, is the end of the lever actually bent around - then the heat shrink over that? Is that what I'm seeing?

I think I have about decided to just take my levers to my machinist/welding buddy, and get him to cut the ***** off, cut an inch out, and weld the ***** back on. Maybe I should throw some heat shrink over that. I like shorty levers, and the guards I got but haven't put on yet don't quite have room for stock levers - fancy new levers aren't in my budget...

Old 04-20-2011, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jxg
remount the plastic with a bead of silicone and the debris doesn't get caught in there...
Great idea! I'll do that next time I have to take the guards off.

Thanks,
Ed

Old 04-20-2011, 03:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
So at the very end, is the end of the lever actually bent around - then the heat shrink over that? Is that what I'm seeing?

I think I have about decided to just take my levers to my machinist/welding buddy, and get him to cut the ***** off, cut an inch out, and weld the ***** back on. Maybe I should throw some heat shrink over that. I like shorty levers, and the guards I got but haven't put on yet don't quite have room for stock levers - fancy new levers aren't in my budget...
No I just hacksawed the lever off and put a fairly thick heatshrink on and folded it forward and another layer of the red heatshrink over the fold so that it cradles my first two fingers, a custom fit to my hands. I love em.

Name:  ALIM0802.jpg
Views: 3178
Size:  30.4 KB

Name:  ALIM0803.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  ALIM0805.jpg
Views: 2975
Size:  46.4 KB

Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pics for Kojack06

Got a PM from Kojack06 asking for some more detailed pics of the handguards and clamps. Here they are:

Name:  Rockaway-20110502-00354.jpg
Views: 3235
Size:  172.9 KB
Name:  Rockaway-20110502-00353.jpg
Views: 3168
Size:  193.0 KB
Name:  Rockaway-20110502-00352.jpg
Views: 3195
Size:  203.9 KB
Name:  IMG-20110502-00351.jpg
Views: 3167
Size:  202.7 KB

Hope the pics provide the detail you're looking for.

Also, the bash plate and engine guards are from TCI/Turbocity. Quality is good. Instructions not so good. Most importantly, you'll need to remove the engine guard everytime you wish to replace the oil filter.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Many thanks Sir!!
Kojack

Got a PM from Kojack06 asking for some more detailed pics of the handguards and clamps. Here they are:

Also, the bash plate and engine guards are from TCI/Turbocity. Quality is good. Instructions not so good. Most importantly, you'll need to remove the engine guard everytime you wish to replace the oil filter.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Question: how bad is the interference with the front brake hose where it passes beneath the left bar mount. I haven't fully mounted my standard Moose guards yet, but it's clear that under fork compression the hose will at least rub on the mount, if not be forced to distort around it. No doubt this will cause some wear issues. I could flip the top hose guide to make the hose clear the guard mount, but then the front left blinker will be in the way. Just curious what you've seen, or work arounds others have tried.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
Question: how bad is the interference with the front brake hose where it passes beneath the left bar mount. I haven't fully mounted my standard Moose guards yet, but it's clear that under fork compression the hose will at least rub on the mount, if not be forced to distort around it. No doubt this will cause some wear issues. I could flip the top hose guide to make the hose clear the guard mount, but then the front left blinker will be in the way. Just curious what you've seen, or work arounds others have tried.
Yeah, I kinda wore some of the black vinyl shrink wrap off of the transition between the hard plastic sheath and brake cable. Nothing some black electrical tape couldn't fix

Ed

Quick Reply: Handguards for a KLX250S...