Gps for trails

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM
1st Gear Member

is the Garmin 76cx the newest one from them??

Old 03-25-2012, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BleednGreen68
is the Garmin 76cx the newest one from them??
Just checked recently and it looks like the 76 has been replaced with the 78. Check Garmin's web site. You should be able to find some 76 models cheap if you look around.

Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Just checked recently and it looks like the 76 has been replaced with the 78. Check Garmin's web site. You should be able to find some 76 models cheap if you look around.
Cool thanks for the info! I want somethin rugged, pretty much water proof if there is such a thing with gps units and can do trails way up in the mountains.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

My good old eTrex Legend is waterproof to 3 meters. You don't want a car-type GPS for off-road. You need one designed for hiking, etc. They have much more flexibility than the auto-type units. You'll be loading lots of maps, tracks, and routes on it, some created by other off-road riders.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

So would any of the etrex garmins be good for me? I didnt see a 78 model on their site.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Im seein a vista, legend, 10, 20, 30, montana, dakota, etc. So many damn choices haha.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

The eTrex units are the oldest models. Some still have a SERIAL connection, so be aware of that when shopping. Those would be the real old ones... but they are still available (both NEW and used).

All of the newer units have USB connections, including the newer eTrex models. The eTrex line is tried an true! You can't go wrong, and some bargains are available to be had.

The Dakota and Montana series units are the newest of the Garmins, and they have touch screens instead of mechanical buttons. I may one day move up to a Dakota 20, simply because the screen is a little bigger than mine, and my eyes are a little worse than they were when I bought my eTrax Legend.

The important thing (to me) is being able to create tracks and store them, both on the unit and on my home PC. Even the oldest eTrex's (like my old Legend with the serial interface) are VERY capable in this area. Just last night I was creating tracks on Google Maps, exporting the data, running it through a converter, then loading it on my computer and on my eTrex.

Last edited by rgoers; 03-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Speaking of etrex, I have a ram cradle for one if anyone wants it, since mine died and got replaced with the Garmin 60CSX
I'd give you more s**t about how you were gonna send me this a year ago but my old eTrex can't even take a slight shake anymore without crapping out nevermind vibes from a handlebar mount.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I use my iPhone. I use the Magellan RoadMate app for street driving and EveryTrail for off road riding.
I use GPS Kit for offroad. Can put just about any map source you want into it and cache them for when you have no signal. Onroad, MotionX GPS Drive.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
The eTrex units are the oldest models. Some still have a SERIAL connection, so be aware of that when shopping. Those would be the real old ones... but they are still available (both NEW and used).

All of the newer units have USB connections, including the newer eTrex models. The eTrex line is tried an true! You can't go wrong, and some bargains are available to be had.

The Dakota and Montana series units are the newest of the Garmins, and they have touch screens instead of mechanical buttons. I may one day move up to a Dakota 20, simply because the screen is a little bigger than mine, and my eyes are a little worse than they were when I bought my eTrax Legend.

The important thing (to me) is being able to create tracks and store them, both on the unit and on my home PC. Even the oldest eTrex's (like my old Legend with the serial interface) are VERY capable in this area. Just last night I was creating tracks on Google Maps, exporting the data, running it through a converter, then loading it on my computer and on my eTrex.
Thanks for the info! I think i'd rather have the USB type. I've noticed on some hand helds that they only do trails but in order to do streets you have to buy extra software. I want a unit that does it all at once.

Quick Reply: Gps for trails