Gps for trails

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Gps for trails

Anyone use gps so as not to get lost or at least able to go back to staging area when doing trail riding? I'm not good at directions and had been lost a lot of times. get lost everytime I go trail riding. Brand and model please. Tnx.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
Anyone use gps so as not to get lost or at least able to go back to staging area when doing trail riding? I'm not good at directions and had been lost a lot of times. get lost everytime I go trail riding. Brand and model please. Tnx.
I use my iPhone. I use the Magellan RoadMate app for street driving and EveryTrail for off road riding.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

i just use a regular old garmin...have a ball mount on the handlebar...use a hack to download all types of maps to it...even trail maps...

Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
i just use a regular old garmin...have a ball mount on the handlebar...use a hack to download all types of maps to it...even trail maps...
Etrex?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I have an old Etrex that I clip on to the handlebars. Been using if for years. Love the trackback feature.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
I have an old Etrex that I clip on to the handlebars. Been using if for years. Love the trackback feature.
trackback really works even on trails?not difficult to use?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:08 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
I use my iPhone. I use the Magellan RoadMate app for street driving and EveryTrail for off road riding.
Thanks. Just downloaded everytrail on my android. Does it have trackback feature? Can't seem to find it. Tnx

Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I'm a serious map guy, but I carry a Garmin GPS model that has a full complement of western U.S. topo maps. The only GPS models that I like are the kind that put your location on the exact spot on the map where you're sitting. While one can figure out where they are with coordinates only, there's nothing like seeing that little arrow on a real map of area. You can scroll anywhere to find the best route out if you're lost. I only pull mine out when I question a fork in the backroad or trail. It's saved me a good deal of time at some points, and frankly it's just about impossible to get lost with one. I travel in some fairly remote areas out west and often by myself. Having a GPS and a SPOT locater is about as safe as one can get with the inherent dangers in our activity.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
trackback really works even on trails?not difficult to use?
Trackback uses the track the GPS (don't know about iPhone apps) made on your way in. So it works anywhere as long as you have tracking turned on. It's easy to figure out.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I use XTrex with the US topomaps. Installed lighter on my bike for power. Works good, especially when you have to abort your planned ride (broken part, on reserve gas, etc.) and get to a highway. Also can save your route to review later or pick back up the next day or month.

Quick Reply: Gps for trails