GPS Mounts & Accessory Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member
Default GPS Mounts & Accessory Wiring?

I'm checking out GPS bar mounts and putting on a ciggy power socket.

Mounts I've seen so far (only in pictures though) leave the unit kind of stuck up in the air higher than I'd like (vulnerable looking), and the ciggy socket setup is big & bulky by the time you get the socket and the plug together. Anybody have something better figured out (more compact quick connect setup?), and a line on a mount that will mount the unit kinda low? I'd want to remove from bike & put on my sled when the snow comes. All feedback welcome.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Guess I posted a bit soon. Just found this, not sure how I overlooked it the last couple days of searching - looks almost like what I was wanting but hadn't found yet:

RAM Motorcycle Mount for the Garmin eTrex Venture

Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 AM

I just put my RAM unit on my KLX250s. I like the RAM because it does stick up a bit and you still have a field of vision down the road when you look at it. You will notice the bus coming in your direction on the wrong side of the road.

Touratech makes a bar mount, but that diverts your eyes too much from the road. You can get creamed without ever seeing the bus. It also may obscure the instrument panel/dash. YMMV

I also ran a power outlet/cig lighter inside the tank bag. El cheapo from Radio Shack until I can get a waterproof unit that I can exterior mount.

Last edited by SnrMoment; 07-10-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:39 AM
JAC
1st Gear Member

I also have a Ram mount and bought the Garmin power cable to wire directly to the battery; cable was about $22 I think. I was going to install a cig type power plug but the only thing I really plan on powering is the GPS. I got it at www.gpscity.com.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 AM
JAC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JAC
I also have a Ram mount and bought the Garmin power cable to wire directly to the battery; cable was about $22 I think. I was going to install a cig type power plug but the only thing I really plan on powering is the GPS. I got it at Garmin GPS & Accessories, RAM Mounts, Lowrance GPS, TomTom GPS at GPS City.
And, I second what Snr said above, it sticks up just the right amount so it is in your field of vision.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

I use Anderson Powerpoles for wiring on bikes and in cars, but I tend to change things often and it just makes it easier. You need to buy the tool and the connectors. If you're a ham, you prolly know about these already.

Here is one source: Powerwerx: Online Shopping for Anderson Power Products including Powerpoles, Wire & Cable, Adapter Cables, Powerpole Power Splitters, West Mountain Radio RIGrunner & more