Is this a good price on a 2008 Ninja 250

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I had an 06 ex250 ninja and put 13k miles on it. I beat that bike up and it held up really good! The only problems I had with it was a broken clutch cable and throttle cable due to poor maintenance. I've also ridden the 08s and it's so much better! The suspension is much stiffer and the bike doesn't dive when you brake compare to the older model. The seat on the 08s felt better too cuz after 30 minutes of riding on the old one, I have to switch butt cheeks. The 08s are a better all around bike cuz its handles better, looks better, better tire selections cuz of the 17 inch rims, more aftermarket parts and its more comfortable!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
The Aprilia shares the same "basic" engine as the RGV abeit with Aprilia's "special sauce."
150MPH sounds about right.
Had trouble keepin' up with the RS and RGV when I had my NSR400R (why did I ever sell it?) Those bikes are lightning fast and scalpel sharp in the corners and on the brakes.

Pretend you're Rossi. Hee hee.
I was riding my Yamaha XS850 back from somewhere came across an RGV250 two-up, we played a bit until he turned off in the next town, he had it up to around the ton or so. Man those things fly. I really wanted one of these at the time

I can't believe they are calling these vintage bikes now then again I can't believe the mighty Z1 is a vintage bike I must be getting old

Last edited by MaverickAus; 05-23-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Back on the subject of the Ninja two fittty. If I had one of those, I would immediately get a power commander and pipe.

Something about a sport bike that can't break 100mph in stock form isn't right. A few mods should make 'right as rain' though.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Back on the subject of the Ninja two fittty. If I had one of those, I would immediately get a power commander and pipe.

Something about a sport bike that can't break 100mph in stock form isn't right. A few mods should make 'right as rain' though.
Eh, you could say similar things about our bike in stock form.

After spending $600 to get a coupla HP on this bike, I don't think I'll be spending the $ on a pipe and jet kit for the bike. (no power commander, it's got 2 carbs). It wasn't worth it looking back. Should've just spent that on a big bore.

Besides, I don't think the girlfriend cares too much. I want her learning and developing technique. I will admit I am a bit worried...but we both took the MSF and I'll be doing baby steps with her...parking lot skills...then just around a neighborhood behind our house practicing stops on hills. Then a really fun windy road out to a hotel resort to practice more hills and harder turning...then out into the ****. Heavy traffic, big intersections....

Old 05-23-2009, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member

Psh the hardest thing for me learning to ride was the clutch. Once I got it going, it was second-nature to me. Must be in my blood... my aforementioned father and grandfather rode. Only thing that ever scared me when I was a noob was having to work the clutch in traffic. But baby steps is the way to go; not everybody has miles of smooth concrete roads in an abandoned army camp to ride in and get good overnight

Old 05-23-2009, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Psh the hardest thing for me learning to ride was the clutch. Once I got it going, it was second-nature to me. Must be in my blood... my aforementioned father and grandfather rode. Only thing that ever scared me when I was a noob was having to work the clutch in traffic. But baby steps is the way to go; not everybody has miles of smooth concrete roads in an abandoned army camp to ride in and get good overnight
I agree. I think the clutch gave her the most trouble at first during the MSF course. After the 1st day she fully grasped the concept and was working it fine on the gz250. Occasional stall, but even I still do that sometimes when I'm too busy thinking about the HOTD instead of the light turning green!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
Eh, you could say similar things about our bike in stock form.

After spending $600 to get a coupla HP on this bike, I don't think I'll be spending the $ on a pipe and jet kit for the bike. (no power commander, it's got 2 carbs). It wasn't worth it looking back. Should've just spent that on a big bore.

Besides, I don't think the girlfriend cares too much. I want her learning and developing technique. I will admit I am a bit worried...but we both took the MSF and I'll be doing baby steps with her...parking lot skills...then just around a neighborhood behind our house practicing stops on hills. Then a really fun windy road out to a hotel resort to practice more hills and harder turning...then out into the ****. Heavy traffic, big intersections....
I didn't intend to be giving advice, just thinking out loud from perspective standpoint. Don't worry, I harbor no sinister urges to put your girl in danger.

However, since you saw fit to retort, here's a counter point. I said it doesn't seem right that a SPORT bike can't break 100mph. It's not reasonable to expect that from an unfaired DIRT bike...or a 250cc dual sport, so I think that comparision is invalid.

The 2008 Ninja250R in Japan is fuel injected and a power commander with pipe makes a dramatic improvement..-ala WR250R- gaining over 5HP with those mods alone. My mistake though, because I didn't know Kawi was short changing state-siders again with carbs instead of EFI.

Last edited by tremor38; 05-24-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
I didn't intend to be giving advice, just thinking out loud from perspective standpoint. Don't worry, I harbor no sinister urges to put your girl in danger.

However, since you saw fit to retort, here's a counter point. I said it doesn't seem right that a SPORT bike can't break 100mph. It's not reasonable to expect that from an unfaired DIRT bike...or a 250cc dual sport, so I think that comparision is invalid.

The 2008 Ninja250R in Japan is fuel injected and a power commander with pipe makes a dramatic improvement..-ala WR250R- gaining over 5HP with those mods alone. My mistake though, because I didn't know Kawi was short changing state-siders again with carbs instead of EFI.
I guess by similar things I meant more dual sport specific, I couldn't think of anything at the time. Of course I'm not expecting it to hang with the Ninja on the highway. Maybe stuff like easy wheelies over logs, actual handguards (plastic on the 07 and nothing on the 09), not great gearing in the tight stuff, etc. etc. I'm talking stock of course. It really is too bad the Ninja is still carbed. It seems that a FI step up always nets more HP than a jetting and pipe.

Of course every bike could "use improvement" in the eyes of most owners and leaving it stock is just not an option. ...goes to check out jetting/pipe info on Ninja 250....

She is psyched though. Got some really great deals on boots jacket and gloves at a local shop. She said some riding jeans looked really great on her but my wallet said no. I'll probably go back and buy em for her anyway.

I am at a bit of a crossroad here. I am trying to sell the KLX and step up to something with more displacement. I am not sure if I would want pure street, 50/50, etc. After messing around on the Ninja 250 I should get a better idea. In order to keep the current riding I do, I'd probably go with a DR650. Though an older KLR650 might be OK. I have seen very good trail riding done on them. Sales guy basically said "it sounds like you need a street bike AND a dirtbike!"

I kind of like the Versys though...similar to the vstrom650 but more capable off-road. The Versys is something like 30 pounds heavier than the Ninja 250 new models. Old models are lighter.

OK I'll stop rambling now...I'll be sure to post a pic of the new bike next to the KLX in a few days....