Getting the right 250sf rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Getting the right 250sf rear tire

Hi,

Currently on the stock tires, for my 09 KLX250sf, which are the IRC Road Warriors RX-01 110/70-17 and 130/70-17

My tires are good, but i just do not like the skinny rear. So I'm going to go with a 140/70-17 and I'd like to keep the front, since it's still good.

However I'm a little confused. My understanding is our tires on the 250sf are tubed? is that right? So do i need to find a certain type of 140-70-17 tubed rear? or will a tubeless still work? and i use the existing tube (if there even is one?)

Bottom line, will this work ? yes or no. I like the idea of going with the same manufacturer as i've already got, so that i can keep my front.

IRC Road Winner RX 01 Rear Tire 140 70 17 66s | eBay

If not, which tire should i be looking at, hoping to keep the front.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by TheDoc46; 08-07-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure there is a universal "right" tire for any bike....KLX whatever designation, Beemer, Arial or otherwise. YOUR terrain / surface-you-choose-to-travel-on will play about 40% of a "right" choice.....rider ability will play another 40% and the bike's torque and weight will cover the remaining 20% of making the "right" choice for you. Wet or dry conditions...or both? Is money an issue? Last night, I and another guy on 250's took out down about five miles of mountain twisty that turns to gravel after four miles. I'm running some Shinko 244's front and rear, [less than 90 bucks in both] he's running Avon Gripsters at about 200 bucks for the front and rear. I led him enough that I took a leak at the road end before he caught up with me. Some of it's the arrow, some of it's the Indian.

No better time to learn about what is keeping your hide off the asphalt and what might increase the odds of that continuing.

The Dual Sport Tire Buyer's Guide - BikeBandit.com

Kind of a rule of thumb........wire spoke wheels usually require tubes, as those little spoke holes will let the air out. Not a fast, written in stone rule, as a few manufacturers over the years have introduced tubeless wire spoke wheels, Moto Guzzi is one that comes to mind. I'm not aware of Ma Kaw issuing any tubeless wire spoke wheels. A tire designated as a tubeless tire will work for your application, with a tube.

You have a bit of a performance machine. I'm not aware of any "performance" that will be enhanced by going to wider tire that will interfere with the bike's geometry [simple terms: you're gonna make the bike harder to turn] If appearances are your goal, just buy a Mohawk thingy for your brain bucket. It will cost less and it makes some kind of a statement to your admirers. I guess.

Also try to keep in mind the tire that works well in Barstow might suck on the streets of Baltimore. Different asphalt compositions might require different tire rubber compounds. Tires I got 9,000 miles out of in Virginia were ate up in 5,000 miles in Texas. If there were a "right" tire......the other's would quit making theirs 'cuz nobody would buy 'em, right? There is "right" for you and YOUR situation. And wallet.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 PM
1st Gear Member

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...e-combo-40642/

I would like to say IRC road winners are not rubbish but they are very very average for a road tire!

It's also not a good idea to mix & match different makes of tires, unless you have done it before with good results. Or a trusted friend can recommend a special combination. If your going to get a new rear tire, I would advise getting a matching same make front tire to compliment the rear.

The 140 rear tire isn't just for show!! It nicely stabilizes a very skittish KLX light weight SuperMoto bike. It very slightly slows the bike from falling into corners to quickly. A big handling improvement IMHO.

The roads in Thailand are OK but kinda have a cheap almost shiny surface, so grip is my No.1 priority. An SF has very little power/weight/torque so getting soft grippy tires is a good idea, as they will always last longer than any full sized torquey KTM or powerful Motard. We all went nuts for these Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 tires when they became available here a couple of years ago, they absolutely out perform the IRC...DRY & WET....100% better!

I am just talking about real sports performance tires in text above. I have also heard good things about duel sport tires Avon Distanzia & Pirelli Scorpions, if that's your bag.

And inner tubes can be put in any tire for the SF, including a "tubeless radial" like the Diablo Rosso!! The IRC inner tubes are good quality btw....I have two of them in my Pirelli's.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I am running Bridgestone Battleaxe BT090. Standard issue on Yamaha WR 250X. Made for the track, super sticky when hot, so much so that my buddies cannot ride behind me as the rear pick up and tosses back bits of gravel from tarmac.
140 rear just clears swingarm.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
my buddies cannot ride behind me as the rear pick up and tosses back bits of gravel from tarmac.
haha, Graham that has to be the best excuse I have ever heard, for being the slow bike bringing up the rear!!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

I have Metzeler ME Speed tubeless tires, running a tube in them. 110 front and 140 rear. They are relatively cheap (at least here in Brazil) compared to Pirellis (although Metz belongs to Pirelli). I find them to have very good performance in wet and dry conditions - specially wet conditions.

IMO, tire performance is very subjective since everyone has a different riding style. Too bad they are not cheap, so we can test ride a bunch of them to find the perfect match to our style.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I love how subjective the perceived size of the tire is to different people. When I go riding with some of my buddies with KLR's and others with proper straight up dual sports running skinny little knobbies in the 100-110 range and they see my current 130 on my tard and are like "DAMNNNN ! look at that fat *** tire on that little bike".

On a more serious note though I am looking at the Shinko 006 podium in 140 for my next rear. Pretty cheap and since the KLX is far from a monster powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination I would think it should grip fine.

IMO

Old 08-09-2013, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Truth be told, I don't hoon around. I ride in SW FL, for a relaxing cruise round some beach roads without a helmet on. I may venture out to some gravel off road down in the Everglades. But the tires are never stressed. Roads are straight and boring for the most part. I just love to ride. Feel the heat and wind in my hair.

I've been riding for the best part of 26 yrs. Always had sports bikes in the past and done my fair share of hooning. Starting on TZRs KR1S, CBR's & R6's and so on. No point owning a sports bike down here in SW FL. Too many cops, and too much stopping and starting. So opted for this KLX250sf which is a happy medium, since i am spending most of my time on regular asphalt, but often taking it to a straight gravel lane.

But have always had a thing for a larger rear tire, and on the KLX250sf it looks painfully skinny to me. So yep, flame me if you need to, but i am just in it for a cosmetic upgrade, even if it'll turn ever so slightly slower.

I'm not riding it hard enough for it to make a handling difference. The existing Road Warriors have been grippy enough for me, since the tarmac is often at super hot anyways.

I just need to know if i can get that road warrior 140/70 - 17 in this link IRC Road Winner RX 01 Rear Tire 140 70 17 66s | eBay

and that it will fit on my rim using my existing tube.

I'll also now that the bike is out of warranty, I will be putting a 351 in, but will wait to Winter, as it gets too hot in my garage during the hot humid FL summers.

Last edited by TheDoc46; 08-09-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:59 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah that should fit fine. might want to go ahead and replace the tube and rim strip anyway though while you're in there.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, the 140 will fit just fine, if not perfectly, on the rims and swing arm. I agree it looks much better than the 130.

I am a fan of the IRC tire. They last forever. At the time I had to change the rear tire, they didn't have a 140 available in Brazil, but with the new Ninja 300 being sold here and sporting the 140, they are available now. Too much money, thou, because of import taxes.