Gerbing heated gear review

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Gerbing heated gear review

So for those that haven't been following along....I decided to ride all winter.
I was really starting to feel the cold. Adding a windshield really cut down on the cold wind blast and gave me much more comfort for my core. But my hands and feet were really getting too cold.
I got frost bitten toes many years ago and just can't take cold feet anymore. So I ordered a pair of heated insoles made by Gerbings. I've had them a week or more now. Aside from the crappy inline fuse case (keeps popping open, exposing it to the elements and blowing the fuse), these things are great. Too good most of the time. I need a switch or temp controller to moderate the temp w/o unplugging. I think they will keep me warm enough in the coldest of temps.
Today I received my battery powered gloves. Bought them from Cabella's for $200. They are made by Gerbings and labeled Cabella's. That's probably why the are only available in woodland camo. I also bought a spare set of batteries for extended time in the saddle days. Charged them up(manual said 6hrs to charge, but were charged in 3hrs) and then put the battery in its pocket and turned them on. In just seconds I could feel heat! They have 4 settings - 25-100% or 90º-135º. They aren't supposed to get wet, yeah right. Good thing I wear Aerostitch Triple Digit glove/mitten things as an over glove(they are wind/waterproof). Put my glove system together and they both have the same long gauntlet. Together they make a good combo.
Well as the snow continued at work, I sat and hoped it would turn to rain like they said. As dark:30 was approaching I decided to leave while it was still light. Geared up and before I was rolling was too warm! I had the gloves on 50%, pulled over(wouldn't do that normally but one hand steering in the snow ain't a good idea) and turned them down. Rode home in 30º temps with freezing rain. I was at speeds of 20-45mph for an hour and never once thought about my hands. I had a nice coating of ice when I got home.
Clear roads, normal speeds and much lower temps will truly tell. I suspect any added heat will keep my fingers from getting numb, they might still get cold, but I think numb fingers are a thing of the past.
Maybe if I win the lottery I'll buy a 2WD Christini or 2WD Ural and get a full heated suit, but for my broke *** now, this is a good solution to keep warm. As the studs were to keeping upright, at least until I got to the road for work this morning(4" of tracked and semi-packed snow), where I unceremoniously crashed in front of a coworker at a whopping 14mph.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Good review. I was looking at possibly getting heated grips for the early spring when the morning rides are 40 and my hands become numb quickly.

I have no idea how you ride during the winter on main roads. I guess I'm a wimp but the black ice on the road scares me!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Great review MP!

I ride year round down to as low as -10C (10F) but I prefer to keep it above 0C (30F) if possible. I have done this ever since I first discovered heated grips about 5 years ago. Prior to that I was lucky to get an 8 month riding season in.

I supplement the heated grips with technical fabric under layers (usually snowboard/snowmobile gear) with my motorcycle gear on top as a shell. I also use thick snowboard socks and a woolen glove under my motorcycle boots & gloves. I will also sometimes wear a balaclava under my helmet ig it's exceptionally cold.

This strategy has always kept me warm and unconcerned with the cold even at highway speeds. *I have never found the need for heated vests or pants, although I can see where they might work well in extreme cold or where one may want to wear full leathers.

To anybody who has ever contemplated heated grips, do it! They are one of the best ways I have ever spent $100.

@Masson: I grew much more comfortable with ice once I got more experience in mud and river crossings by getting off road on my KLX. Don't get me wrong, I won't ride if the roads are sheer ice, but the odd patch doesn't bother me.