Front cam guide slider

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Front cam guide slider

In the middle of doing a top end, put the head on and found the front cam guide / slider was a little off, when messing around it came right out.

What is the best way to put the front cam chain guide / slider back in? Do I have to take the head off?

​​​​​​

Thanks,

Geoff

Old 05-21-2017, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you're talking about the cam guide facing the exhaust side of the head. Here is a pic so you can see how the lower section of the chain guide is supported:

Name:  IMG_9444_zpscnfpjvxx.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  76.8 KB

The chain guide is sandwiched between the engine case by the plate you see in the pic. It just slides in between the case and the plate so, I can see how you were able to pull it out. Here's a closer pic:

Name:  IMG_9447_zpsdfrrosxq.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  77.2 KB

It's a little odd the way it just rests sandwiched between the case and the plate. I used the pic above to get a good idea when it was seated correctly. Also, if you look at the cam guide there is a small dimple on the back that fits into a small dimple in the head. You can feel it catch when it's set correctly.

It's strongly advisable that you remove the side case to re-set the cam guide. That way you can be sure it's securely seated between the case and the plate.

Also, I hate to think the screw securing the plate is coming lose and that's why you were able to pull the cam guide out of it's seat. If that black screw does come loose and works it's way out the damage could be catastrophic.

Two other things you can check while the case side is removed: Check side play in the idler gear. It's the gear that's just peeking out from behind the clutch basket in the first pic. It rides between the kick starter gear and the gear at the base of the clutch basket. It's a very common issue and if they wear enough they will start shedding teeth. Left long enough it will jam and literally split the case. Mine was very bad when I inspected it a few weeks ago. It was missing two teeth!

Also, there is a oil screen at the bottom of the case, right below the clutch basket. It's black along the edge and slightly curved. It's visible in the first pic. It pulls out. Go ahead and inspect and clean it while you're in there.

Last edited by vtvette; 05-21-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the details.

I ended up feeling around and getting it in place with the head on. Ill take the time to crack open the side to verify everything is good.

Does the side take a gasket or liquid gasket?

Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 AM
1st Gear Member

There is a side cover gasket, Kawasaki part #11060-1324. Runs about $30 online.

Mine came off in one piece. I'm sure you could probably get by with smearing a light film of gasket sealer on each side of your existing gasket and seal it up if you choose to.

Last edited by vtvette; 05-22-2017 at 04:45 AM.