Freshly rebuilt carb leaking gas from bottom carb overfill drain.. plz help

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 02:46 AM
Unhappy Freshly rebuilt carb leaking gas from bottom carb overfill drain.. plz help

Hi all and thanks to anyone that can offer insight or directions.

My 2007 KLX 250 has been sitting for a few years and wouldn't start and wasn't getting fuel through the carb. I pulled the carb & broke it down and cleaned everything thoroughly. Put it back together and still no fuel so i ordered a rebuild kit.
While disassembled for the rebuild i went through and meticulously cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air again and the carb is clean.

Put it all back together (again..) and after the rebuild the bike fires right up BUT after 30 seconds or so gas starts pouring out of the bottom black overflow drain.

So.. I turn the fuel shutoff switch and ran the bike until it drained the remaining gas in carb and tapped all around the bottom of the carb thinking the valve was getting hung up. No luck..

The drain screw at the bottom nipple for that black line is tight.

Take the carb off (AGAIN! lol) The valve and float move freely and dont get hung up, however I go through and give her the once over one more time since it was open, check the diagram to make sure it's assembled correctly. There's no grime or gunk in it anywhere.

Put it back on and it runs great however still GAS POURS OUT OF THE BOTTOM DRAIN OVERFLOW. Frustrating (but eager to get out there)

Have I changed the bend in the float?
How can I test the correct position or can you offer tips for adjusting the float?
How tight should the float seat the valve in the full position?

Also anything else I should do while the carb is off this next time (if needed..?)

Am I missing something else? Links, advice better words to use or questions to ask, anything helps, thanks!