Free exhaust mod - GREAT SOUND !

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 PM
Default RE: Free exhaust mod - GREAT SOUND !

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

I'd like to suggest that we refrain from coming down too hard on folks like JC that take the time to post (with nice photos) regardless of our personal interest in the mod offered. I'd much rather have us err on the side of too much information than too little. Folks reading this forum can judge for themselves if they want to do a mod or not.

Just to add to the sage advice of BMWHD, I would like to include the "not coming down too hard" to each and everyone on this forum.

We're all here because we have bought one of the greatest 250 cc dualsport bikes ever made. We did our homework, found the bike and bought it. Now that same type of information gathering and proliferation is still going on. This is how folks find out about making their bikes just that much better - through all the postings here on this board. Let's face it, at this time we're in this together, without much help from the aftermarket manufacturers. I can't count the times that I've asked, "Does this part fit my bike?" only to get a response of "I do not know, the application charts have not been upgraded. It might fit." When I ask, "If it does not fit, will I need to pay a re-stocking fee?" "Yes!" is always their response.

This forum has folks going out and spending the money on parts, doing the test-fitting, taking pictures, spending their time writing how-to articles so that others can learn from what they did, also from their mistakes. Heck, the part numbers are almost priceless! This forum is the best one out there for the KLX250S - bar none! It has some great folks on it, some quite dedicated folks that don't mind doing the work.

I think it's very healthy to ask questions, even pointed ones to make sure that you fully understand what the author meant to say. Sometimes it is not obvious what their intent was, nor their motive. However, please do not make comments like some of those made about JC on his thread. Let's face it, each person is an individual and as such, they have their own opinion. Whether it is right or wrong, it is their opinion and they do have the right to voice it. It's the folks like JC that want to share something with you and he does have that right to do so. If you don't agree with him, you can state that you disagree with him and not make comments such as were made. The better we get along, the better this already awesome forum is going to get.

In summation, it's kind of like the Golden Goose of the Kawasaki KLX250S world. Let's not kill it!

Old 04-25-2006, 03:48 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

I'd like to suggest that we refrain from coming down too hard on folks like JC that take the time to post (with nice photos) regardless of our personal interest in the mod offered. I'd much rather have us err on the side of too much information than too little. Folks reading this forum can judge for themselves if they want to do a mod or not.
Hear here. Let's please not get too politically correct nor turn this into a baby proofed house with covered electrical outlets and padded corners on the coffee table. There's plenty of that elsewhere. We're all big kids and we all have brains - no one should blindly follow any procedure without asking yourself a few questions first and deciding whether it is right for you. Caveat emptor and all that. And besides, JC was pretty clear about this not being able to be undone. This is the 'net for gods sake, there are bound to be a lot of opinions and varying styles. One word - tolerance. What one person considers great fun might strike fear into someone else - that's just the way it is. Tolerance. Heck, Deej hasn't even got his bike dirty yet (sorry Deej!). And while I may not share his enthusiasm for the absense of mud, I respect his right to avoid it and certainly don't bad mouth him for his cleanliness . Well, maybe a friendly poke here and there, but some of the comments toward JC crossed the line, IMHO.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:23 AM
JC

I am not sure that I view this as an exhaust leak since the exhaust flows out at the distal end of the header as opposed to coming from the proximal end. I used to run open headers on my 442, when I wasn't getting ticketed for it. Anyway, I could tell a little improvement in acceleration in first gear and the raw sound of that unbridled big block V-8 was awesome. To me that wasn't an exhaust leak, I just opened up the exhaust so that it wasn't resricted. My intent with this mod was similar, however, the open header, besides being too loud on the KLX, would redirect all the exhaust right up under the my leg so I opted for a small opening that directed most of the exhaust through the muffler, but allowed some exhuaust to exit directly from the header. I like the sound of my motorcycle now and I made a simple clamp on device with a wire clamp and heat resistant sheet metal to redirect the exhaust from the header. Simple but effective. Just what I wanted.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

[sm=youreright.gif]

Old 04-25-2006, 04:41 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Quote: Heck, Deej hasn't even got his bike dirty yet (sorry Deej!). And while I may not share his enthusiasm for the absense of mud, I respect his right to avoid it and certainly don't bad mouth him for his cleanliness

Well I almost got it dirty today, I went for a 2 hour ride, and ended up above town on a logging road that went on forever, and had endless spurs, it was awesome. I actually went through a soft dried up mud puddle, and like I said I almost got the bike dirty.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

no performance gains..........because you lost power. is this correct gearheads?
I'm not understanding this one either. I live in Iowa and work with chemically addicted clients, and know from the meth problem that people trippin' on meth like to disassemble anything from tv's to fingernail clippers, but this one dumbfounds me.

Yeah, this is correct. Not good. Because the engineers go thru painstaking modeling to design a tuned exhaust system. Tuned in that you need some back pressure to help pull exhaust gasses from the cylinder thru the exhaust valves. There goes some of the back pressure with this leak. Yeah, it might sound a bit louder, but the trade off is a loss of power. Oh, and BTW, that shiny sleeve you cut is a gasket to prevent exhaust leaks. [sm=badidea.gif] Now, mind you JC, this is just my opinion. If you like what it does, then that is all that matters. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]