Free exhaust mod - GREAT SOUND !

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Free exhaust mod - GREAT SOUND !

Well said, and when I said brutal, I should have added Honest, because that's what we all need here. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 04-23-2006, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

SAY WHAT??????[sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 04-23-2006, 08:17 PM

Actually I never wanted an exhaust for more noise, I just wanted it for performance enhancement. But actually guys, I'd hate to say it, I COULD NEVER GO BACK TO THE STOCK EXHAUST!!, at 1st the white bros. sounded way too loud. But now that I've gone riding a couple of times, THis is the way the bike is supposed to sound, its not obnoxious at all. When I went riding with the guy on the KLR yesterday, he said that he loved the sound of the exhaust, he said that it didn't sound obnoxiously loud at all!! I went for a ride today and that low rumbling is just so smooth, ya. Now I actually dont feel so goofy riding this thing on the road.

Oh and by the way, I don't engage in this ever so please don't lecture me, but a Full blown out Modded mustang pulled up next to me and was Revving like hell, so I thought why not, there were no cars at the intersection, just me and him, so I gunned it and left him behind, I was pretty surprised. Well this was until 60 MPH and that was the speed limit so I stayed there, maybe it was a slow modded mustang, but I really did leave him behind, not far, but enough that he was like 20 ft behind me, and he was reving the hell outta the engine to keep up. Anyway thats the only time I did that and the only time I will do that, thats why I want a cruiser and not a sportsbike because I know that will happen all the time with a sports bike.

Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 AM

OH Don'cha Know!

I've had my fair share of the Mustangs, Camaros, Monte Carlos and such decide to see just how good the ZRX-1200 is! I usually just look at them and give them a smile, tell them they really don't want to be embarrassed and just take off easy.

Of course, there was a young man in a Mustang 5.0 that had a loud exhaust and it sounded like some engine work. Probably a high 13, how 14 second 1/4 mile car. I was sitting at a traffic light in a 55 mph area just minding my own business. He pulls up alongside me, does a smokie burnout and just is egging me on to no end. I guess he had his 'entourage' following him in a few cars, so I figured a lesson was in order. The light changed, he was spinning his one drive wheel and making all sorts of noise, smoke and not much more. I kind of idled along his side in the ZRX. After we got into 2nd gear, he got this smile on his face, kind of like - I'll show you on your sporty motorcycle, boy!" About that time the bike was coming over 5500 rpm in 2nd geat, so it was time to roll the throttle open - rapidly! The ZRX likes to lift it's front tire when this kind of operation is performed, and kind of "get with the program" and I immediately put about 20 car lengths on him. At the next intersection he pulled up alongside me again, but was rather quiet in his car and his 'entourage' was doing a lot of laughing and trying to egg him on to really race me. If he even made a move like he was going to race, I was going to do a fast leave on him and show him that the ZRX can be to 100 mph before he gets into 2nd gear. But he wisely chose to not do so and I just pulled off nice and easy.

People just don't understand that the majority of sportbikes will out accelerate most cars, even those with lots of modification. The ZRX is a 10 second bike in stock form. I've got a couple of time slips to prove it. Do the math - at a difference of 4 seconds at 130 mph, the ZRX would be ahead of the car at the end of a quarter mile by 400 feet and opening up the gap! That would be very one sided.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:42 AM
JC

While I appreciate input and constructive criticism, I think some of the comments were a little out of line. As for the "addict" comment, I take the implication about "drug use" a little personal, but oh well. I am a grown man and can take an insult without missing a beat. And of course the pics I posted weren't an attempt to trick anyone into "damaging" their bike. As you can see from the pics, I actually "did this mod" and yes, I knew exactly what I was doing. I do realize that some of the exhaust (the actual hole is less than 1/8 inch in diameter) exits from the point at where the header and muffler pipe meet, I have actully done this before on another bike with the same . Please reread my original thread below where I warn readers that this is unconventional and that it cannot be "undone". If anyone wants to provide their input, then please do so, but do so constructively. I realize that some may be providing input for less experienced riders, to let them know that there are negatives associated with this mod and that's good, but don't bash me for what I have done to enjoy my bike more.

ORIGINAL: JC

Warning, this mod is a little unconventional but for those who haven't bought an aftermarket exhuast system yet, or don't plan to buy one because of the expense, then this mod will give you some real motorcycle sound for free. Oh yeah, it only takes about 20 minutes too. I will post step by step instructions, but I urge you to perform this mod at your own risk because it cannot be undone, unless you buy a whole new muffler.

STEP 1: I simply unbolted the stock exhaust

[IMG]local://upfiles/1550/4724039E9B61410CB3611D6AF25FB650.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah fair enough the drug use thing was out of line, I apologize. However your "mod" is just dumb and hopefully like Marty said no-one else will be tempted to go this route. Excess noise just for the sake of it only puts people offside with motor cyclists and will end up with larger and larger amounts of land off limits to us.
Anyway I'll get off my soap box now just think about it

Old 04-24-2006, 08:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

Deej,

I don't know if "Brutal" is the correct term or not.

One of the problems I see with some websites is that there is some bogus information being posted there. Folks that are new to the sport or new to the bike, see it, go out and do what is suggested and get very disillusioned with the bike and or sport - not to mention the site.

I have seen places where folks have posted information that can be dangerous to do. The exhaust leak caused by the mod JC posted could fit into that category. I don't want to see anyone get hurt because they did not fully understand what the posted was trying to accomplish.

How do we know that this wasn't just the case of someone putting bogus info up in an attempt to trip someone else up?

Perhaps the term "PROTECTIVE" of what is posted here in our little spot in cyberspace is a bit more discriptive. Just trying to keep things the way we want them - helpful, informative, useful, money-saving and proven modifications.

While I can see that JC wanted to get a bit of LOUD from his bike - which in my opinion is his perogative - I just wanted to make sure that others fully understood what he was trying to accomplish BEFORE they tore up a multi-hundred $$$$$ device.

Just trying to police the posts to make sure they meet the criteria of what should be posted here. I do think everyone shares in that intent!

Well stated good looking out, and I'm sure he wasnt trying to trip anyone up, but yes a exhaust leak is usually somthing we try to fix not create. If anything weld a strait pipe on it so it exits away from the bike and the rider.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member

I'd like to suggest that we refrain from coming down too hard on folks like JC that take the time to post (with nice photos) regardless of our personal interest in the mod offered. I'd much rather have us err on the side of too much information than too little. Folks reading this forum can judge for themselves if they want to do a mod or not.

Old 04-24-2006, 05:15 PM
1st Gear Member

perform this mod at your own risk because it cannot be undone
JB weld is your friend

Quick Reply: Free exhaust mod - GREAT SOUND !