Fork stiction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:24 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

On my Racetech GV setup I had to go back in and slightly stiffen the mid-stroke, quick compression hit portion of the valve stack from the GV data supplied with the kit. I did this years ago, and I'm not even sure where I stuck the data I ended up using.

I think some of the mid-stroke, quick hit compression complaints on our bikes comes from the lack of being able to tune/adjust the rebound damping. The fork compresses and kind of "packs up" since it can't keep up on the rebound circuit.

So, using a mix of 50% 5wt and 2.5wt fork oil helped as it sped up rebound damping. This did require me to slightly stiffen my compression circuit as I mentioned. It's a balancing act, but it does improve suspension performance.

On stiction, especially with a good deal of experience working on highly advanced mountainbike forks, I found that this can be noticeably affected by oil choice. I have noticed a fair amount of difference in the "slickness" of different fork oils. It seems like some of them have focused more on how the oil performs in the damping stacks and not so much on how "slick" the oil is in the bushing interface. While all the fork oils are obviously "oil", I've found some of them to be much better in terms of relieving bushing friction. I found Golden Spectro to have a very "slick" lubrication quality compared to many others, while still being an excellent performer in the damping stacks.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Another stiction sufferer here. Symptoms are the same as above. Forks work great in medium/large hits but are like jackhammers over small/low speed hits.

Had entire forks rebuilt last year with new bushings, seals, gold valves and new .46kg fork springs.

Not sure what the shop used for oil. Is there a brand that reduces or eliminates the problem?

(edit, just saw TNC's reply above mine - any others to look at apart from Spectro?)