Fork Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an 07 S.. 98% off-road.

The .44's have been ordered. Should see them in a few weeks.. I just ordered the seal kit too.

Should feel like a new bike, can't wait.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Can Anyone tell me what is the standard fork spring rate supplied with the 2010 250 s (EFI) I have just installed a set of 42 kg/mm from Moto Pro. They look and feel exactly the same as stockers. John of Moto Pro told me the OMC springs are 38 and therefore 42 would sort out the diving. Well that did not happen.

For those thinking about doing it yourself, very easy using the slacker method, 30 - 45 minutes.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgower
Can Anyone tell me what is the standard fork spring rate supplied with the 2010 250 s (EFI) I have just installed a set of 42 kg/mm from Moto Pro. They look and feel exactly the same as stockers. John of Moto Pro told me the OMC springs are 38 and therefore 42 would sort out the diving. Well that did not happen.
Hey graham, sorry to here the news. .42's seem a tad light weight! What weight are you?

Ordering stuff from the other side of the world at great postal expense & waiting weeks etc........i feel your pain

I told John i'm a heavy dude & i ride hard, if any doubt in spring sizes we can fall on the heavy side of normal & then he calculated the whopping rate .52

good luck

Old 06-09-2012, 08:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Interesting Graham, sorry to hear on your misfortune - have you confirmed they weren't actually the wrong spring rate, maybe supplied in error? I was looking at getting some new springs as well. I don't want to fall into the same trap and be too light on. Here is what I sent to John just now:

I ride 50/50 on and off road. off road I like to do some rocky hillclimbs (and descents) as well as general trail and gravel road riding. On road, I just commute to work at reasonable speeds (40mph +) but not full size highways. I haven't had huge suspension problems off road, but I haven't really been paying attention. On road, I am most unhappy with the way the bike nose dives and bottoms when I do a heavy brake application - the other day it nearly put me off the bike when a car cut right in front of me - the front got really bad wobble and loss of control when the brakes went on hard and suspension dived. I have yet to play with my damping settings (only a new bike to me).

I weigh 90 - 95kgs (200 - 210 pounds) without gear on. I'd class the riding I like to do as enduro or trail, not mx.
Would anyone be in my boat and offer some suggestions? Maybe I should err on the side of caution and go the next spring rate up, like a 0.46, but i dont want excessively rough ride off road in any rocky terrain

Old 06-09-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Guess it's good I ordered the .44's. I haven't weighed myself in a while - I should do that.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to add to the data base here.
I'm 180 w/out gear, have fender bag, tank bag, 3 gal tank and ride rough terrain aggressively.
Had moto pro 44s with valves for a while now and the springs seem just right.
I have bottomed them a couple of times. Some of the cross ditches (water bars) here are 10 feet deep and gassing it a little too soon, before you hit the bottom can bottom them.

Even though I have felt them bottom my zip tie on the stanchion tells me these forks only have 9.5 not 10 inches of travel. Of course measured with the wheel unweighted on the stand.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:05 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mcnutts
Just to add to the data base here.
I'm 180 w/out gear, have fender bag, tank bag, 3 gal tank and ride rough terrain aggressively.
Had moto pro 44s with valves for a while now and the springs seem just right.
I have bottomed them a couple of times. Some of the cross ditches (water bars) here are 10 feet deep and gassing it a little too soon, before you hit the bottom can bottom them.

Even though I have felt them bottom my zip tie on the stanchion tells me these forks only have 9.5 not 10 inches of travel. Of course measured with the wheel unweighted on the stand.
On that apparent travel reduction, this missing travel is often hidden in a bottomout bumper/spring and topout bumper/spring setup in many forks. It sounds like you have about the perfect balance on your spring. A bike should bottomout occasionally in an extreme case like you describe.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
On that apparent travel reduction, this missing travel is often hidden in a bottomout bumper/spring and topout bumper/spring setup in many forks. It sounds like you have about the perfect balance on your spring. A bike should bottomout occasionally in an extreme case like you describe.
Ah, yes. Looks like I\m going to have to try a little harder to get the full travel.
I would not want heavier springs.
I should add I am running 7.5 wt oil and my shim stack is set quite soft on slow and high speed.

Last edited by Mcnutts; 06-09-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Richox
Interesting Graham, sorry to hear on your misfortune - have you confirmed they weren't actually the wrong spring rate, maybe supplied in error? I was looking at getting some new springs as well. I don't want to fall into the same trap and be too light on. Here is what I sent to John just now:

Would anyone be in my boat and offer some suggestions? Maybe I should err on the side of caution and go the next spring rate up, like a 0.46, but i dont want excessively rough ride off road in any rocky terrain
The packing has .42/kg/mm penned on the label, so I assume they are correct. I did notice they are identical in actual steel thickness when I inserted them. John told me the 2010 KLX comes standard with .38, so .42 should have been OK. However that is why I am asking if anyone knows the actual standard rate supplied, cos the sure feel the same as the new .42 s I just installed.

I am around 85 kg ( 185 lb ) and looking at Mcnutts post the .44 seems the one to use, however if there is no marked difference between .42 and .44, I do not beleive the .44 will get rid of the diving, so mabe one up to 0.46 would be more suitable for the extra KG,s you carrying.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for digging up this old post. For whatever reason I thought there was a lot more to this than what it really is.

On the seal kit, how much extra more work, disassembly, is there?

Quick Reply: Fork Spring Install