Fork Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Same Method, Good Results

Originally Posted by johnnyz62
Brian and Gang,

I replaced fork springs the other night and wanted to try it without taking the forks out. I had read a few other articles and comments from someone else here and thought this route would be easier. Having never done any fork work before just have to say this job is fairly easy and only took about 45 minutes to do both forks. I did forks and shock spring for my weight from MotoPro and this made a huge difference in comfort and performance.

Here is what I did differently:

This is how I set the bike up. I jacked the bike up then used a floor jack to raise the front assembly, to release the load from the caps.

Picture after raising the front tire with the floor jack. I found out that you have to loosen both caps to release the spring tension.

Another way to make it easier was to place the 17mm wrench under the nut to keep the internals from falling back down inside the fork. You can then just thread the spring over the wrench then grab the shaft before it falls down into the fork tube. The wrench will hold the internal parts up while you get the new spring. You then hold the shaft, start the spring over the shaft then slide the wrench back in, under the nut. Then thread the new spring back down the wrench. You can actually thread the spring down far enough to collapse the spring and thread the cap back on easily. This eliminates the need for the third hand.

Hope this makes the job a little easier for anyone out there with questions.

I just finished installing my new Moto-Pro front fork springs using this exact same method, as recommended here. I did use a 15mm wrench to hold the damper rod up instead of the 17mm, which eliminated any chance of the rod passing through the wrench while screwing on the new spring.

Oh, and I did have to remove the plastic spring guides from the damper rod in order to shave them down a bit. This was necessary to accommodate the new springs (.46kg/mm) which had a smaller inside diameter and would not fit over the spring guides. No big deal, as Moto-Pro warned me that this might be necessary. I used a carpenter's block plain to shave, rather than try to sand them down, figuring it would be a cleaner process, and less chance to contaminate the fork oil.

Changed the rear shock spring too. The bike now handles much better, especially descending steep grades on single track.

Last edited by Oldad; 05-24-2014 at 02:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM

Tell me where you can buy hard springs to forks and shock absorber for my KLX250S 09+?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by xCoReLx
Tell me where you can buy hard springs to forks and shock absorber for my KLX250S 09+?
Moto Pro is where I got mine.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Is Moto Pro still around? All I found was an old inactive (2013)Facebook page & a website with dead links.
There is also a Moto Pro in the UK.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vlodpg
Is Moto Pro still around? All I found was an old inactive (2013)Facebook page & a website with dead links.
There is also a Moto Pro in the UK.
Don't know about Moto Pro but I got my KLX250 fork and shock springs from Cogent Dynamics

Welcome to Cogent Dynamics

Doug

Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Thx,
I think I will give them a call.

My springs are way too soft me being 260#

Old 06-16-2015, 01:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I weigh 185 lbs.
The stock KLX250 is undersprung with stock springs
I installed .44 kg/mm fork springs and a 6.1 kg/mm shock spring.
This setup works great for me.

I'd suggest that you call Cogent Dynamics and talk to them about springs for your weight.
If you call you'll likely not get Rick as he's always busy. However talk to Joyce, tell her you're looking for suspension info for a KLX250
Specifically springs. Tell them I recommended Cogent. I know Rick and Joyce personally and ride with them at times.
They're good people and will work with to get the best setup.
Rick rides a KLX250 himself and is very knowledgeable on suspension setup
He can recommend springs based on your weight.

You'll be very happy with a spring update.

I have a web site with KLX250 info if you care to look at it.
KLX250S Home Page

I've recently installed a Mikuni pumper carb and will be updating my web site with that information when I find time.

Doug Pippin
d_pippin_89@bellsouth.net

Originally Posted by vlodpg
Thx,
I think I will give them a call.

My springs are way too soft me being 260#

Old 06-17-2015, 05:43 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
I weigh 185 lbs.
The stock KLX250 is undersprung with stock springs
I installed .44 kg/mm fork springs and a 6.1 kg/mm shock spring.
This setup works great for me.

I'd suggest that you call Cogent Dynamics and talk to them about springs for your weight.
If you call you'll likely not get Rick as he's always busy. However talk to Joyce, tell her you're looking for suspension info for a KLX250
Specifically springs. Tell them I recommended Cogent. I know Rick and Joyce personally and ride with them at times.
They're good people and will work with to get the best setup.
Rick rides a KLX250 himself and is very knowledgeable on suspension setup
He can recommend springs based on your weight.

You'll be very happy with a spring update.

I have a web site with KLX250 info if you care to look at it.
KLX250S Home Page

I've recently installed a Mikuni pumper carb and will be updating my web site with that information when I find time.

Doug Pippin
d_pippin_89@bellsouth.net

Will they revalve as well? And can I ship them my components and have them replace springs and valving?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
Will they revalve as well? And can I ship them my components and have them replace springs and valving?
They do suspension upgrades every day
Best thing to do is give them a call
Contact information is below

Suspension Products

Doug

Old 09-16-2015, 12:02 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dpippin
They do suspension upgrades every day
Best thing to do is give them a call
Contact information is below

Suspension Products

Doug
Finally pulled the trigger and sent my front and rear components to Cogent for servicing and upgraded valving and springs.

Quick Reply: Fork Spring Install