Fork Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Fork Spring Install

ORIGINAL: Hardtaco

After talking with John today he decided to put me on the .46 front springs and 6.2 rear spring. My weight at 225 doesnt really require that but after talking to him about how hard I ride and after mentioning hare scrambles he went ahead and bumped me up to those rates. He said I would be especially happy with the stiffer springs considering how I ride.....(ask nobrakes )

Josh
Except in mud - the great equalizer.

But yeah, you guys are animals in single track. [sm=hail.gif]

Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

whats the stock spring rate for our bikes?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Josh, how much $? I probably need to get at least that or bigger. Oh and if I get them, I would probably go through my local shop no? Part number and manufacturer?

Old 01-30-2008, 03:45 AM

The info here is great. There is no way to screw up doing this yourself.
So I have a question for those that have already changed out their springs.
What fork oil did you put back in and why?

Old 01-30-2008, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ricky

The info here is great. There is no way to screw up doing this yourself.
So I have a question for those that have already changed out their springs.
What fork oil did you put back in and why?

Doesn't look like they changed the fork oil. I would just change the springs and do a test ride so you can feel the difference of changing only the springs. After noting the difference from the springs alone, change your oil if it's needed or to try a different weight to work with the springs. That way you can feel each change you made.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:39 PM
1st Gear Member

If you use motopros spring calculator on their website, it will suggest a fork oil to use as well.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
1st Gear Member

To completely change the fork oil, the fork tube needs to be removed and disassembled. In which case, you'll need a special tool for disassembly. However, you can get most of the oil out without disassembly.

I think most folks who have changed their springs, retained the original oil.

When I changed my oil, I was surprised to see how dirty it was with only 2000 miles on the bike, especially since it's a "sealed" system.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:39 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: Hardtaco

After talking with John today he decided to put me on the .46 front springs and 6.2 rear spring. My weight at 225 doesnt really require that but after talking to him about how hard I ride and after mentioning hare scrambles he went ahead and bumped me up to those rates. He said I would be especially happy with the stiffer springs considering how I ride.....(ask nobrakes )

Josh
Except in mud - the great equalizer.

But yeah, you guys are animals in single track. [sm=hail.gif]

I would retaliate with the "I need new tires something bad, then its on like donkey kong" excuse.....but I wouldnt wanna be mean to the guy thats gonna help me with my springs and fork oil change.......

Old 02-14-2008, 04:58 PM

I got the 44s. Whole different bike.

PlusI adjusted compression damping half to maximum (7 out of 14 clicks or whatever it is), per manual. This resolved rear end issues.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I put the Motion-Pro .44 springs in today since I needed to swap out the front tire. I put my motorcycle up on the jack stand, took the front wheel and handle bars off, and went to work on the fork tube end caps. When it was time to attach the end cap to the rod I just lifted the bottom of the fork leg up and grabbed the rod.

With the new tire and the harder fork springs, I'm still getting used to the new ride quality. The Dunlop 606's front and rear work well off road but, they suck on the bad asphalt roads I ride. The spring TWANG is a tad weird too Hmmm .... do I need to add some more oil to forks now?

Quick Reply: Fork Spring Install