Fork guards w/sliders vs w/o sliders

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Fork guards w/sliders vs w/o sliders

Whats the difference between fork guards with sliders and guards without? Are the ones without just attached at the bottom of the fork? If so it sounds like they could just flop around at the top of the fork. I just broke one of the fork guards on my 07klx. The plastic actually cracked while i was pushing on it one day, it seemed very brittle. Last weekend a branch must have hit it and finished it off. About a quarter of the way into the Leaf river DS ride the thing was in pieces. some of it was hanging from the spedo cable so i had to finish breaking it off. It broke very easily by hand, unimpressed with their quality.
I know the UFO guards for the 94-95 KX fit and they have sliders at the top. I'm not sure I like the way they look though. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...+guards&page=2
What to do.
Dan

Old 11-20-2009, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member

I would go with the sliders little extra support on top (.)(.)

sorry Dan couldn't resist but I would go with the sliders.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Are most mx bikes fork guard just mounted at the bottom?

Old 11-20-2009, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Dan, imo you need the sliders. The ones that don't come with the sliders are meant to use your old ones. I think most of the time these don't go bad, but seeing as the klx ones are not the same as the kx you will need them.

I think some of the difference was that the protectors were the same for quite a few years of kx's but the sliders changed(due to later years getting larger forks) over the years. So companys like acerbis just sell them with out to keep cost down for them and cover more of a range with one product.

You may or may not have to wrap something around the fork for the sliders to fit properly. I put some pieces of 1/8" thick rubber under them when I put the kx protectors on. I belive that the UFO's come with sliders for the later kx models that had the larger forks. As far as I know you can't get a set of protectors with sliders as a set that have sliders for our size forks, I could be wrong though.