KX Fork Guards & "CR Style" Brake Routing--How To

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:04 AM
1st Gear Member
Default KX Fork Guards & "CR Style" Brake Routing--How To

This covers two mods:

Stage 1--KX Fork Guards
Stage 2--Braided Steel Front Brake Line With CR Routing

Stage 1--I put the KX guards on simply to get to stage 2, but there are other advantages such as--cheaper, much easier to find, they flex more instead of crack, & IMHO they look alot better. Plus some of you going for the black plastic thing--you can easily get these in black.

I have heard of people putting KX guards on the KLX--its old hat--butI never saw a write up or how much modification was involved so here you go.

You need KX guards & guides. The guards are the same 94-03 (or so). The guides are from the 94-95. In 96 Kawasaki went to a larger fork so I do not know if those guides work or not--they may require a "spacer" inbetween the guide & fork. The easiest thing isjust order UFO 94-95 guards--they come with the guides you need.

Brake side: The two front holes line right up, the side one is too far back but the guard is right up close to the mount...

All you need to do is take some time, mark the new hole location & drill it. Then cut off the excess guard. A Dremel does wonders.

Install the new KX guide--its the one with the brake line loop. It will snap into place when you've got it.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KX Fork Guards & "CR Style" Brake Routing--How To

Old 03-12-2007, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

The other side is off more. Only one bolt can go in front & the side needs a spacer as well as a new hole.

But one of the stock KLX spacers fitts perfect.

Then I put in a loop for the odo cable. (I explored other options including using the brake side guide for the odo cable but nothing worked as good as this, other setups put too much kink in the cable or bent it in towards the wheel).

At this point you can stop or choose to move to stage 2.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wrong image tag, use [IMG] and [/IMG].

Old 03-12-2007, 05:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes staightened me out.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Those look really good!

Can't wait to see stage 2.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

AGHHH--I just lost a huge portion of text...that is whay I am trying to break it up.

Ill try again.

STAGE 2

The whole point of this for me is to run a stainless line routed via the correct "CR Style" aka down the inside of the fork leg. The stock way, needless to say, is poor I'm sure everyone can see. the reason it is like that is because Honda had a patent on the "correct" way when the KLX was designed. It expired & now everyone does it this way.

Long story short we need a long line. The MXers run the lines across the number plate--I dont think that will fly with our gauges & headlight. So I figured there are only 2 real options---we need a line from a bike with an inverted fork & a headlight---that leaves WRs & CRFXs. I went WR (the early models, not late models). I searched all the manufacturers & the only one that gave me warm fuzzies enough to order the parts that this would work was the Ride Engineering line. You also need the universal brake line clamp that bolts to the fork guard.

I ordered from MX South--cheaper than striaight through Ride even though my package was shipped straight from ride.

Now your probably asking--why do we need the KX guards? The KLX guides IMO have no place to mount the clamp & I doubt the guides would work as they have channels running along the back. Not to mention the holes they would have in the front...

Old 03-12-2007, 05:47 AM
1st Gear Member

I was worried the Ride line would have aluminum fittings but to my pleasant surprise they are steel & MADE BY GALFER! YEA! If you have aluminum fittings on a stell line they can corrode & fail.

Now install the line & bleed it. The fittings have a right & wrong--the top fitting should poit upward.

Again, take time & route the line down the inside of the fork leg. Reposition the stiffing section of the line as necessary. Mark the holes for the clamp & install.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

The hoops on the front of the KX guides have to go. Ride recommends removing them completely but I dont see why this wont work. I cut the hoops of & sanded them smooth. you want at least the rings of the guides so when roost or wind push against the guards they rub the guides, not the fork leg. I cut the odo side just so it matched.

There is plenty of room between the clamp bolts & the guide.

Works good so far!

Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice job, KLXer! Great photos, too.

Quick Reply: KX Fork Guards & "CR Style" Brake Routing--How To