KX Fork Guards & "CR Style" Brake Routing--How To

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: KX Fork Guards & "CR Style" Brake Routing--How To

Great write up. Idid the same thing with my KLX300 after destroying the stock brake line and a Galfer made for the KLX. The Galfer lasted for two rides. I also have a Four Stroke Works brake line guard. I have tried just about every combination of left side guide on the right side, loops, clips, etc., for the odometer cable. I pretty much ride only off road and everything I tried either put the cable in a bind, the fork guide/guard in a bind or stuck out too much and got snagged off road. My solution was the simplest of all. A black zip tie (not too tight)around the fork and cable. It works perfect and blends in well. I also used the Ride Engineering stuff and in harsh off road riding I have not needed the guide on the fork on the left side. The three bolts hold the guard very tight. The right side is a different story. I think you need the guide.Only havingtwo bolts allows the guard to move some when rubbed against. The guard will keep it fairly straight. I have to re-position the guard in the guide after most but not all rides. Also I'm not sure how the 250 "dash" is set up but on the 300 I found the routing of the brake cable worked better by going through the lower triple clamp guide first and eliminating the upper triple clamp guide. It makes it a little closer to the KX routing it was designed for. You will like this much better, especially if you ride off road, as the brake lineis not nearly assusceptible to damage.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks great, like it should have in the first place!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AgoosSS

Also I'm not sure how the 250 "dash" is set up but on the 300 I found the routing of the brake cable worked better by going through the lower triple clamp guide first and eliminating the upper triple clamp guide. It makes it a little closer to the KX routing it was designed for.
Actually, I rooted around thumpertalk for awhile & saw your pics & threads on the subject so really you deserve alot of the credit-- I just went in a little different directionon which bike to source the brake line from. You used the KX line which is shorter, I used a WR wich is longer & that enabled me to use the upper tripple line guide. It is routed like it was designed for on the WR. The gauges hog all the space between the headlight shell & the tripple on the 250S.

This is the line I used. I routed it just like that.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

You did a good job figuring out that WR line.I really like the way the KX line worked out on the 300. It's clean and tucks away nice. I will be doing a riding buddies bike soon also. He broke a stock fork guard on our ride last weekend from a crash. Unless they have changed the material of the stock fork guards, which I don't think they have, they get very brittle with age andif you look at them wrong they will brake. My buddies shattered into pieces like mine did. The KX guards would never have broke the way ours did. He has had the parts for quite a while, after seeing mine,and nowhe doesn't have an excuse not to get them on. Again, if you ride technical off road, the CR type line IMO is a must. It's no fun trying to get back to camp without a front brake.