Skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, and tail light kit paid for itself today...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Skid plate, hand guards, radiator guards, and tail light kit paid for itself today...

One of the guys at work rides a lot of dirt and took me out for my first hardcore off-road ride.
Wow, am I tired after 40-50 miles of off-road. I think it has more to do with having to pick up the bike multiple times.

But my real point in writing this is to express how much I made use of all the protective farkles I've put on the bike.

First I tried out the Barkbusters - AWESOME!! They saved my fingers from a 2" branch, that I'm sure would have hurt, if not broken my fingers. They also saved the controls when the bike went down - which happened more than a few times - OOPS. And with the Storm plastic covers also help with wind on cold days (and rain), I used to use my Aerostitch lobster claw over mitts all the time (my bashed up hands get cold easy), not even sure where they are now.

Next, I tested the Scorpion skid plate while running down what was once a road, but is now more like a dry, rocky river bed after last years hurricane. I definitely would have cracked an engine case or two and then been stuck in the middle of nowhere.
It makes a nice protective thud when deflecting rocks and boulders.

After a sudden left of the trail (don't ask) I noticed some branches hanging off the bike. After returning to the trail I stopped to remove them, when I noticed one stuck in my radiator guard (also a Scorpion product). Another save! Not sure, but I don't think the bike would do too well without coolant, seeing as the motor has no cooling fins.

And lastly, the Edge tail light kit...it didn't really do anything except stay out of the way, but if the OEM tail was on there, I definitely would have left it behind after a few crashes. Or one of the holes I went through would have snapped it off.

All this to say - give your bike the same type of protection that you give yourself when you ride - big assumption that you wear armor, helmet, etc.

So tonight instead of ordering new parts and removing broken ones, I get to wash the bike and change the oil and go to bed early!

My only other off-roading advice - STAY ON THE GAS or you won't make it through the obstacle field.

PS - got to switch bikes for a little while, rode a KTM 450 (very, very nice wheelie machine - I didn't do any but it was obviously only a twist of the throttle away) but more surprising was his reaction to the KLX. He said,"I'm totally impressed, this bike is way more dirt capable than I thought it would be." I LOVE MY DIRTY BIKE!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:09 AM
1st Gear Member

don't do too much more ktming or you'll end up buying 1 or 2 or 6 (ask me how i know) being a transplant from a ktm300 i have found myself really enjoying this bike a lot

Old 06-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Nice write up on the equipment.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Excellent. Same experience for me first time on the trails. if not for the skidplate and handguards, it would have been a different story. Ride safe.