flat proof for dual sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 03:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outrecording
I had (what I believed to be) a pinch flat the other day and came across this product when searching what a tube with pinch flat looks like. Was going to ask about it in a new thread, but figured I'd bring it up here. I haven't heard of tube guard before or heard anyone mention it. Nice alternative if you don't want to go tubliss. Anyone try before?

https://squatchracing.com/product/tubeguard/
Interesting concept. It may improve tube snakebites on hard hits and low pressures. However, it doesn't do anything for the big reason why people go to bib mousse and Tubliss...flats by puncture. Flats suck and fixing them trailside even more. This new product may be a better MX component as pinch flatting with low pressure is more common there as opposed to trail punctures from nails, thorns, etc.

When you get a flat on an MX track, at least you can pull back into your pit and have all the tools and convenience to make the repair...at least less painful than a trailside repair.

While the Tubliss system offers the option of lower pressure for traction, I still use it more for flat prevention.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Went to put on my right foot peg mount today and my tubliss rear tire is flat..... Planning maybe ride tomorrow. I think I rode about 2 months ago, but it has been sitting on the stand since then.

Once it goes flat, what do you guys do?

I was thinking putting it on the stand, putting a little more stan's in and maybe a little on the bead on the outside before I pump up the bladder. Then spinning the rear wheel a little, then airing the bladder, then the tire. We'll see how it goes....

Last edited by durielk; 06-21-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:06 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

durielk, yeah that's not unusual for it to loose a lot of air or go completely flat in that time...both the inner liner and the air in the tire. The inner liner/bladder should air up, and you should air that up first. Of course it doesn't use any sealant. After you get the liner up to 105-110 psi, then air up the tire itself to 20 or so pounds. This just lets the tire get some of its shape back. Let the air back out by removing the Schrader valve and install a fresh dose of Stan's, tubeless Slime, or Orange Seal.

durielk, I've started running Orange Seal instead of Stan's. I never had a flat for all these years using Stan's, but I hated the "balling up" of latex clods you find when you change out the worn tire. For over a year now I've been using Orange Seal which is another highly respected road and mountainbike tubeless sealant. It has proven to seal as well as Stan's without the latex clods, and it seems to evaporate less quickly.