First impressions and road report

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member
Default First impressions and road report

Picked up my new 2007 KLX 250S on Friday!
Name:  pickup.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  59.1 KB

OK, I might be a bit older than some of you. It has been 30 years since I sold my ~1968 Kawasaki 100cc dual purpose machine which I had converted to a "Dirt Digger".

Anyway, back to the future...
After studying up on the "very controversial" mototuneusa break-in procedures (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) that some of you have done on your bikes, I opted to go for it. Starting out today with 1.6 miles on the odometer and a fresh change to the recommended oil, I set out following the procedures to the tee. Fortunately I live in a rural area, soit was easy to findback roads, open stretches, and lots of corners to perform the aggressive accelerations and decelerations that this procedure calls for.

Wow, that was fun!! This bike really goes.Considering fun-factor, the mototuneusa method sure beats the manufacturer's recommended break-in procedure of "Driving with Miss Daisy".

After the prescribed 20 mile trek (which accomplishes 80% of the break-in), I garaged it and called it a day. Now I need to change the oil and filter to continue the next 20% of the break-in (over 1,500 miles).

Although it was tempting to tear up and down some dirt roads, I decided I better stay focused on the break-in, and keep it on pavement. After all, gotta save something for next time.

I read some postings on the forum about how to retain the spring in position while attemptingto insert the oil filter. I opted to lay the bike down in the grass, but wondered what the jury has determined about the "grease dab" method... any problems reported using clean bearing grease?

Also, I discovered the Fram CH6015 oil filter I bought was too long to allow the oil filter cover to seat properly. I also read some negative reports on the forum about Fram filters (this one had metal end caps like the original, but is made in Korea).

Great bike.
Name:  ride.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  51.5 KB
-LimeDream

Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: First impressions and road report

Congrats on the bike, and take a look at that helmet, matching green and everything. Awesome man.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Member

i did the grease on the end of the spring thing for a few changes and didn't encounter any problems. since i expanded the end of the spring it stays inside there all by itself. i haveused that 6015 filter since the bike was new and have not had any problems with it.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome and congratz on the bike!! You never too old to ride. Hope all goes well for the future!!
Cheers!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Welcome! Enjoy your new ride.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Note: when changing your oil, be sure to put the oil cover back on the same way...I believe it can be rotated 180 degrees and still go on, but the oil passage holes will not line up....just something I noticed when changing my oil.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member

All, thanks for the welcomes, congrats, and oil filter tips!

lcpl0331, interesting idea on expanding the bottom loop of the oil filter spring... that'll be my first mod. Hmm, I will try another Fram CH6015. Perhaps this one was an odd ball.

mudjunkie, roger on not flipping the oil filter cover. I saw that too and thought what a wonderful place for a goof proof "can't assemble it wrong" design feature! Probably the same guy who designed the spring that falls out when inserting the oil filter.

-LimeDream
2007 KLX 250S
2003 Honda XR80
1975 Cessna Cardinal

Old 04-07-2008, 11:44 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

DUDE, is that a minivan!?!!??! Do you drive a minivan?? hahaha.......... just messin man....

Name:  motivator.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  59.0 KB

Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

On the break in....man some people really put too much thaught into stupid things.... My dad used to drag race and has been a mechanic his whole life, and i asked hime how he broke in a new motor.... He said when he built the 350, many times, in his Nova drag race car, he would just drive it down the track like it was an old motor and that was it, didnt do anything special.... man, just ride guys.... no offense to you.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

DUDE, is that a minivan!?!!??! Do you drive a minivan?? hahaha.......... just messin man....
That's pretty funny. You're on to me... No actually, in the pix you can't see the nose it is a a Honda Pilot, a "guys minivan".

Quick Reply: First impressions and road report