Factory FMF Exhaust...Its here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Factory FMF Exhaust...Its here!

On the road I don't notice any more heat on my leg then stock but I do make a conscious effort to keep my leg away from the pipe so I don’t melt anything or go up in a ball of flames.
I did order the FMF heat-shield today though just in case I lay the bike over (or get lazy) I don’t want to ruin an expensive pair of riding pants or muff up my boots.
My experience with after market exhausts has normally been on 2-stroke MX machines and 4-stroke sport bikes where they have a tendency to reduce power at low rev’s and move it all the top end, this FMF system was not at all what I was expecting.
The bike is noticeably harder to lug down now in slow traffic and it pulls a little stronger across the full RPM range, the biggest difference is that with the stock pipe I would tend to make short shifts at 7,000rpm’s (8k max) as the bike would quit reving and protest (not to mention sound horrible) being wound out any tighter than that, with the FMF the engine will easily hit 10,500 and up.
70mph was a chore with 75 being full *****-out; it now will hit 75 without any sign of stress, I haven’t had a chance to go any faster yet but I would wager a bet that it’ll do at least 85 or maybe even 90 now.
Inclines at highway speeds that use to slow the bike down a tad now have no effect on it.
I have stock gears (sprockets) and it feels like it would easily pull a 15T front sprocket now whereas before it felt like I needed to drop a tooth.
The nicest part is that now the full RPM band is available for use.
I had a 120 main jet in (I ride at 4,400ft and higher) but installed a 122 last night and will check the plug this evening to see how things look, FMF claims that no jetting changes are required in the generic instruction sheet(s) that were included with the system but in almost all their other 4-stroke 250 instructions they tell you to go up at least one size.
The instructions also say to use high temp silicone at the joint to get the best seal but due to the precise fit of this system I was able to get a perfect seal without the use of anything.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

ZX,
Your feedback on the FMFcomplete systems peformance is very similar to the results that I had, however you have a couple of mods that I have not done yet, such as the smog removal and aftermarket air cleaner. But overall across the board I agree, Xlnt useable power increase throughout the rpm range. and[sm=happy046.gif] not real LOUD!

Thanks for the feedback, a few folks have asked me to give them my feedback, however I may not be the most expressive about my opinions.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I removed the KCAS (smog) stuff last night in an attempt to keep my new pipe from turning blue, that's about all this mod does.

After 20 miles today the pipe is gold and the welds on the PowerBomb expansion chamber are starting to turn blue.

the Uni filter IMHO is a slightly better element then the OEM but no performance gains to speak of.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the thorough answer and review. I'll order mine up tomorrow and see how it compares when added to an HMF slip-on. I've been very impressed with the power gains from the HMF, but they were all mid to high range to a little more low end will be an added bonus. I have the 122 at 3500 feet, but most of my riding is at 4400 or greater so I too will just have to check the plug. Speaking of which, I've never pulled the thing, and the dealer said you have to pull the tank to get to it...tell me there is an easier way?

How long did it take you to remove the smog crap? I planned on skipping thiis mod, and it sounds like the pipe will blue either way?

Old 10-11-2007, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

The smog valve and hoses take just a few minutes to remove, you can disconnect the large hoses at the head and airbox easily and then remove the small vacuum hose from the front of the carb and fish it all out the left side of the bike and then plug it up with caps from the local auto parts store.

I use the plug socket in the tool-bag and a box wrench to get my plug out without removing the tank, takes maybe 2 minutes.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Mole - I called FMF today to try to get a copy of that dyno chart they did on your system. The "not so helpful gal" I talked to on the phone said she didn't have it (and wouldn't transfer me to someone that did),but saidthe webmaster is three months behind but it will get posted. She said you could call and talk to the person(s) you dealt with and request a copy...please? We'd all like to see the chart [sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Placed a call, lets see what happens......

Old 10-13-2007, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kgwld1
Looks good! Just looked up the prices,$199 header, $359 for the muffler. Kinda pricey.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-K...spagenameZWD1V

$233 muffler, quoted via email $168 powerbomb header + shipping of course

Old 10-13-2007, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

If the silencer in the picture is the one that you get then it isn't correct for the KLX250S (or R model in your case).

Old 10-13-2007, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Factory FMF HeatShield

FMF Heatshield ordered from the factory:
Cost $42.34 including shipping, took 2 days UPS.
A little pricey but if it saves a piece of gear, comes with 4 FMF decals for the back glass of your truck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5126/2CA215E88030429BADA5A748F20C5057.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Factory FMF Exhaust...Its here!