Enough bike for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Enough bike for me?

Yeah a 250 2 stroke is more comparable to a 450 4-stroke except without the nice controlled roll-on progressive power of the 4-stroke. Once you've felt the power-band kick in on a 2-stroke, that's something you won't easily forget.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I had a two stroke when I was 16 and I don't miss it at all. I mean yes it felt like it had nitrous, but when your 16 you're invincible right? Not good on slow tight trails, either you had to keep it open or you would foul the plug. On our bikes you can pop it over a 10 inch log and scoot right over, if you are not real skilled on a 2 stroke you either kill the engine or flip it over on top of yourself. No thanks, I'll take an easy riding 4 stroke any day. I like things that are predictable. But then again you all knew that already right?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:40 PM

Well I think I am nearly sold on it guys. It sounds like a pretty solid ride. They are reliable and relatively low maintenance right?

I am not a fast on road driver. I have a Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a 3.9L V6 and it tops out at 93 mph on the governor.

I want a fun bike that can maintain safe road speeds, is good for the occasional short highway trip to the twisties, and can play in the dirt as needed. No mile long wheelies, no 100+ mph road races, no crazy mudding. it sounds like this one fits the bill.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajd187

Well I think I am nearly sold on it guys. It sounds like a pretty solid ride. They are reliable and relatively low maintenance right?

I am not a fast on road driver. I have a Dodge Dakota 4x4 with a 3.9L V6 and it tops out at 93 mph on the governor.

I want a fun bike that can maintain safe road speeds, is good for the occasional short highway trip to the twisties, and can play in the dirt as needed. No mile long wheelies, no 100+ mph road races, no crazy mudding. it sounds like this one fits the bill.
Couldn't agree with you more. I really don't like riding on the blacktop at highway speeds, and even when I get on the gravel or trails, its all about being safe, not about doing 50 down some trail. I choose life.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:50 AM

You won't be disappointed!

Old 02-08-2007, 03:23 PM

+1 - You've found your bike.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:14 AM

I have an 06 KLX 250 and an 06 DRZ400 and I can assure you that the 250 is not enough bike for you. The stock 250 will barely pull itself down the road. The stock DRZ will run out of the box and will do what you described.

I have all the mods on my 250 (Drilled carb, bigger jets, muzzy exhaust, K & N air filter,48 tooth spocketect...) and the bike runs better but it will be under powered for a person that weight 230lbs and the suspension is soft even after it has been adjusted to the max setting.

The stock DRZ runs better stock than the 250 will with all the mods.

My recommendation would be to look at least a DRZ400 and don't rule out the KTM or other models. DON'T BUY THE 250 UNTIL YOU RIDE ONE. If you are concerned about the extra money keep in mind that you will have to spend a minimum of $500 to get the 250 to have any power at all.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gfoster

I have an 06 KLX 250 and an 06 DRZ400 and I can assure you that the 250 is not enough bike for you. The stock 250 will barely pull itself down the road. The stock DRZ will run out of the box and will do what you described.

I have all the mods on my 250 (Drilled carb, bigger jets, muzzy exhaust, K & N air filter,48 tooth spocketect...) and the bike runs better but it will be under powered for a person that weight 230lbs and the suspension is soft even after it has been adjusted to the max setting.

The stock DRZ runs better stock than the 250 will with all the mods.

My recommendation would be to look at least a DRZ400 and don't rule out the KTM or other models. DON'T BUY THE 250 UNTIL YOU RIDE ONE. If you are concerned about the extra money keep in mind that you will have to spend a minimum of $500 to get the 250 to have any power at all.

Just out of curiosity, why did you buy the KLX if you already had a DRZ?

Old 02-10-2007, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

The KLX250S is a very nice mild mannered ride. The basic mods help quite a bit. The motor is very reliable. The price is very attractive if you do a little shopping around. It just depends on what you want out of a bike. I plan on spending a little more and putting on a 340cc kit and then i'm done. Yeah right, huh guys.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, I forgot to mention.... and trust me on this one. No matter which bike you buy you are going to be doing mods. That is the addiction that goes along with owning a motorcycle and making it uniquely your own ride.

Quick Reply: Enough bike for me?