Enough bike for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 05:57 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Enough bike for me?

I bought my KLX250 for your exact same reasons and riding styles. Im 6'1" 237lbs and I have loved mine since the day I brought it home. Mine is bone stock and seems to have plenty of power for what I use it for. I have ordered the jet kit and plan on doing that, HMF exhaust, 45t rear sprocket and air filter/crancase breather mods but thats it and Im just doing those because these guys are a bad influence on me...lol
Seriously I really like the bike just the way it is and Im 100% satisfied with it.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yep 6-1 and 230 or 240, I think the scale is broke. Sometimes I wonder if I look funny on this 250, like maybe I might look too big, but sometimes when I pull next to a store window and look, (kind of like when women look in the mirror at themselves) Proportionally I look pretty good. Now that we have the physical part out of the way, let me tell you with the 13-45 gears, and the muzzy (or pipe of your choice) the jetting and the airbox sitting in the box with the rest of the parts I took off, the bike is awesome. Low enough for the tight trails, and high enough to keep up with traffic. Its all good. Sometimes when I go to the bike shop even 15 months after buying the 250 I still look at my second choice the Honda 650. And every time I walk out of the shop glad that I chose the 250. The 650 is a great bike, and lets face it its a Honda, and nobody knows bikes like Honda, but the Kawasaki KLX 250 is so much better looking than the Honda.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 on looks.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:35 PM

I should have clarified the one point about highway riding. I would only do short highway rides of like 20-30 miles on it and probably not even that long. Honestly I proably won't even do highways at first.

I am not a big wheelie guy and I"m not into driving super fast so I can't imagine it would be any different for me on a bike.

It sounds like this is a good backroads bike, a good commuter, and an OK highway bike as long as you keep the trips short. If it is as good (or better than) the DRZ at one or all of those things then it might be for me.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: JB1

I bought my KLX250 for your exact same reasons and riding styles. Im 6'1" 237lbs and I have loved mine since the day I brought it home. Mine is bone stock and seems to have plenty of power for what I use it for. I have ordered the jet kit and plan on doing that, HMF exhaust, 45t rear sprocket and air filter/crancase breather mods but thats it and Im just doing those because these guys are a bad influence on me...lol
Seriously I really like the bike just the way it is and Im 100% satisfied with it.
+1 I am very happy with the bike the way it is. I don't know what anyone is talking about when they say it won't wheelie (with stock gearing)in second! I ride them all day long in second gear for as long as the street lets me. If you are not racing someone it is a great bike. You will have to change the gearing for sure. It's a cheap easy mod that most bikes need. I even changed out the gearing on my zx10r, there is no need to do 101 in first gear!

Old 02-07-2007, 06:53 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 [sm=exactly.gif]

ORIGINAL: incabiker

I would say if you want to run a consistant 70-80 MPH do not get this bike. I would say 65 MPH you could do consistant, maybe if you change the gearing then 70-75 maybe could be attainable consistantly, but the bike will be screaming!! I do 65 MPH and that seems like the sweet spot to me. I'm usually more in 5th gear then I am in 6th because of the hills here in Georgia, 6th gear doesn't do hills but 5th gear does and it does it well. I need to get a 45 tooth rear sprocket. I hear that 6th gear does much better with the 45 tooth.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:02 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R

+1 I am very happy with the bike the way it is. I don't know what anyone is talking about when they say it won't wheelie (with stock gearing)in second! I ride them all day long in second gear for as long as the street lets me. If you are not racing someone it is a great bike. You will have to change the gearing for sure. It's a cheap easy mod that most bikes need. I even changed out the gearing on my zx10r, there is no need to do 101 in first gear!
Yeah, Idunno..maybe they're talking about a power wheelie vsa clutch popper. I wasused to doing clutch poppers in 2nd with the CVK and stock exhaust....almost put it on the tail light the first time I tried it after installing thepumper[8D]

Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: tremor38

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R

Yeah, Idunno..maybe they're talking about a power wheelie vsa clutch popper. I wasused to doing clutch poppers in 2nd with the CVK and stock exhaust....almost put it on the tail light the first time I tried it after installing thepumper[8D]
Tremor, you are right. I meant that if he is looking to do roll on wheelie's that he would have to significantly mod the bike. I am sure that for someone that is good at wheelies (not me) gets the front up, the bike has more than enough power to keep it up.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I've had mine for over a year now and love it as well. Have completed all the mods with the carb, KDX snorkle, added a HMF exhaust, de-smogged , and changed rear sprocket. Mostly all just tweaking it in to my personal likes. All of the above make for a wonderful bike that I will own a long time.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Ya im talking about hit the throttle and the bike lands on top of you type of wheelies . I rode my friends hondas 250 2 stroke and that thing had crazy power in the power band, I almost killed myself when the power band hit for the 1st time, I coulnd't help but wheelie and I wasn't trying to, nor did I want to [:@], that was scary power right there. The KLX doesn't have that. But you can wheelie it in 1st and 2nd, but I have to work the bike to do a wheelie. THough I was going up a really steep hill climb one time and it flipped over on me, lol.

Quick Reply: Enough bike for me?