Emergency Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Emergency Tire Repair

Does the KLX have a tube or are they tubeless. I ride alone often and am concerned about a flat in the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone carry one of the emergency repair kits or auto inflator sealers - what brand - ever had to use it.

Rik

Old 11-11-2008, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

The KLX has tubes. If you want "the solution" you carry a couple of tyre irons, a front tube (21" fits front AND rear tyres,) front and rear axle spanners, a small inflation device (MTB doubleshot pump or CO2 inflator,) a puncture repair kit and the supplied OE tool kit. That should keep you going in the event of a flat.
As for the easy fix stuff, I've never used it.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

fyi..... any spoked wheeled bike has tubes.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Fix a flat will work as long as it's not a ripped valve stem. You can ride with a flat tire for a while but you run the risk of destroying your rim. You should be carrying all the supplies you need to replace a tube. I do and have done a couple rear tubes this year, on the trail.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I put slime in the tubes when new for little leaks. Rim locks will help. I think they still make foam inner liners, however I think they get to hot on the pavement.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
1st Gear Member

AAA, I just call for help. I ride bear minimal, don't have the storage to place tools I might need.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

AAA does off road help?

This may be completely wrong but I put slime for TUBED TIRES between the spokes and the liner then put slim in the actual tire then inflate so everything get spread around evenly. Then I deflate and put slim in the tube and re-inflate.

It can get messy but the slime is water soluble while fresh and washes right off.

I have a complete tire change kit but I like minmal too so it stays home. I carry a push through plug kit (very small, and an inflator tube that screws into the plug hole since and engine is basically an air pump. Before I use it I turn off the fuel and run the carb dry so not to fill the tube with gas fumes.

I hate riding a flat. Not only can it damage the rim and the tire but it's a very "squishy" hard to handle ride and, IMHO, unsafe.

All of this plus the OEM tool kit take up minimal room. I slip my tire stuff under the rack with some zip ties.

With the triple slime job I've never had to use the kit. I used to get flats and slow leaks pretty regularly but haven't had one since I slimed.

Last edited by horizonod; 11-12-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sail-A-Wai
I ride alone often and am concerned about a flat in the middle of nowhere.

Does anyone carry one of the emergency repair kits or auto inflator sealers - what brand - ever had to use it.

Rik
You should be concerned about a flat in the middle of nowhere and I always carry my minimalistic emergency repair kit....no sealers/co2 inflaters and other bs...just the basics.

(3) 7.5" spooned tire iron
bicycle tube patch kit
bicycle manual pump

thats it and all you need....fits in the lil klx tool bag too.

On serious middle of nowhere rides I bring a 21" tube just in case I rip a stem..never needed it...the above kit you betch-ya.

btw the above kit is worthless unless you change a tire easily in the dirt or on a rock.....good idea to practice changing a few tires in your garage.

I even bring my repair kit on vacation....and have been very thankful that I had it and was profecient at using it.

Name:  DSC01127.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  121.5 KB