Electrical Help! Fuses Good...Battery Reads Zero Volts w/Ignition On

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldphart
when you fry your skiff can I have it. LOL.
Hold-out for the KTM adv!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes yes yes yes yes yes, The Katoom 690 adv. Drool.
Seriously, does anyone have a photo of what it's going to look like? And please don't post a photo of the 690 proto' that can be leased for big enduros.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

I'm waiting for the friend that got him the exhuast, maybe his name is Gates, we all need buds like that.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

We shall all go on skiff

Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

l'll try to find a pic off the Jannet ,christ we used to shovel shrimp and lobster over board cause it was considered rubbish.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
Again, where do you get some of this from?

I can buy a a batt with a few weak cells dropping to maybe 9, 7, 5v or the like, but from twelve to zero without a direct short is stretching it just a bit.
Experience from working in a automotive garage. Just because a battery shows the needed 12V at rest, doesn't mean its good.

Back on track. It the battery did work for another bike, that rules the battery out 50%. A high amp short could be the cause. Check the starter selnoid realy down to the starter.

Last edited by LearjetMinako; 03-08-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:00 PM
eas
1st Gear Member

I'm with Learjet about the starter solenoid. That's usually the problem when you hear a clicking sound when you hit the starter button. I've never checked the battery voltage though when I've had a bad solenoid. Have you tried bump starting it? That might help rule out/in the battery. If you jump it with a car battery and that doesn't start it, I'm thinking either bad solenoid or water where it shouldn't be from the last washing. Try posting your question on http://www.klxforum.suncup.net/. You'll get help there.

Last edited by eas; 03-08-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-08-2009, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, back online, just woke up after a sleep an makin a tasty meal for my girl consisting of fresh scallops, shrimps and a lobster tail sauted in butter, garlic, basil and a bit of endive placed over a small bed of rice noodles with a side of vinigret tomatoes followed by a homemade mint sorbet...which was followed by some special attention for Finger Mullet.....so I am in a much better mood this morning, but thats another story.

Tremor, battery readings I gave were directly from the battery, and my second post was not directed at your post....this problem has me a bit concerned because if it happened out on the trail ..... I would have had to hike it.....and I thought I had everything covered except a cdi failure....its gotta be a relay or one of those other black boxes in the wiring harness....put down the popcorn and help me trouble shoot the wiring diagram...you know I got the service manual and a meter.

And for those of you that want my skiff or ktm adv..... lol ... vultures have not got me yet.

Eas....it's not the starter solinoid, I would have figured that out myself easy and not posted. The click occured after disconnecting both battery leads for a few minutes to let the puter reset...after reconnecting battery (one time only and not the first time) the lights came back on then a few seconds later a faint click....an dead.......and get this I was unable to reproduce the event. Never got to the point of attempting to engage the starter. Besides that I have a kickstarter and have started her with a dead batt a few tmes already.....I beaten this girl for 3 years now.....I guess an electrical part finaaly failed....it will be the first one.

Suggestions......service manual has like 50 relays to check.....any guesses on where to start, if I guess I will just put the wiring diagram on a wall and just throw a dart.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 03-08-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Does ayone have a wiring diagram that they could post up?

When you turn the key on, does the headlight come on?
If the battery voltage goes to zero when you push the starter button, and the starter motor does not turn, and you are sure that the battery capacity is good, then it points to a high resistance short, possibly from water or a shorted coil winding in the solenoid or the starter motor itself. (The coil would present enough resistance in the short circuit to prevent a fuse from blowing). A good troubleshooting method is to get a twelve volt light bulb or testing light and remove your neg bat terminal, connect the light in series with with neg battery terminal and the neg batt cable. if the light comes on before you turn on the key, then you have a short cct. (This will work even when you have a short that blows fuses, (after you have replaced the fuse of course)) Then you remove fuses one at a time, when the light goes out you know what circuit to look at for your short.
In your case, you have the starter motor not working so that points to the solenoid cct as the culprit, If you cannot hear the soleniod clicking then you may have a bad cct to ground or your solenoid is pooched. or perhaps another relay involved in the cct.
Because you were hosing the bike down, my first guess would be water. It is the only thing that changed between the starter working and not working.
Hope this helps

Old 03-08-2009, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Does ayone have a wiring diagram that they could post up?

When you turn the key on, does the headlight come on?
If the battery voltage goes to zero when you push the starter button,

Because you were hosing the bike down, my first guess would be water. It is the only thing that changed between the starter working and not working.
Hope this helps
I'll post up the diagram shortly.....I'm getting a late lunch at the local diner and have permission to tinker with the bike till 8 tonight at the warehouse.

Turn key and nuthin.....starter button is not an issue and has not been tried...besides I got a kicker....no juice is going to the cdi....but before I turn on batt reads full 13 volts....turn key on, no starter, voltage across batt goes to zero....it should pop a fuse but it is not....and nuthin is getting hot.

Water perhaps may have been an issue, but I doubt it because she has been submerged in saltwater and I always got her going......I bet my left nut it was sumthin that happened with a loose ground to the battery while running....weird it did not pop a fuse ..... I'll be at the warehouse shortly.

Quick Reply: Electrical Help! Fuses Good...Battery Reads Zero Volts w/Ignition On