Electrical Help! Fuses Good...Battery Reads Zero Volts w/Ignition On

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Electrical Help! Fuses Good...Battery Reads Zero Volts w/Ignition On

Well I need some suggestions to check...this one got me stumped.

First How it happened.....I was washing the klx today after a GREAT day of warm florida sand, but thats another story, and when done I started up the klx to let her warm up an dry off well I bumped the battery and click she was dead.......no biggie, the ground lead to the battery was a little loose, and I tightened her up and checked all three fuses....hmmmm no blown fuse

Turn key still dead..........I have done everything I can think of to track this down.....gotta be a short but no blown fuse and yes I checked them with a meter to make sure.

Now get this, battery reads just over 13 volts.....turn key on and the battery goes to zero volts, no lights...blah blah...and fuses still good...suggestions.

Come on, help a brother out.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you reading directly from the battery terminals? If you are, those are odd symtoms because any load that drags battery voltage from 13v to zero should pop a fuse in the process. If you are using the frame for gound, try going straight to the terminals and see if the reading is different with key on.

**added"" about the only thing I can think of that would do that without taking out a fuse is a stuck or faulty starter relay IF you are reading straight from the batt terminals. That would be remote though and might have additional indications like smoke or an engadged starter :-)

Last edited by tremor38; 03-08-2009 at 04:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:58 AM
1st Gear Member

90% I say its the battery. The load when the ignition is on, is the headlight. I've too have seen bad batteries read 12V + , but as soon as I apply a load, 0V.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Cool Bad Battery????

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
90% I say its the battery. The load when the ignition is on, is the headlight. I've too have seen bad batteries read 12V + , but as soon as I apply a load, 0V.
Hey FM, Dispel the rumor that the battery is bad ... jump it with a known good 12v battery, like from your car maybe... that should prove that the battery is/isn't the problem! Not to insult you, but hook up the cars positive lead to the positive post on the bike and then ground the negative to the footpeg of the bike. If she fires up then you know that the bikes battery is not the problem.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Ok kids.....the battery is not the issue at hand...I can prove this because I used the klx battery to get me home tonight on my ktm 640.......try to listen to what I said ..... it is nothing obvious or stupid.......battery good, fuses good but when load applied bat goes to zero......Sumthin clicked inside da klx when trying variations......but nuthin would repeat.....ugh I am fustrated.

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 03-08-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have a short between the - and +. Hasto be.
So it hasto be after the key is turned on. There is something that has the + touching the frame somewhere. THAT would give you a reading of 0 with the key turned on. Your battery is good, don't go and buy one. I bet if you hooked up to another battery it would do the same thing, so don't waiste your money. You could hook up to a car battery if you want, as long as it's 12v you're golden.
So, get an ohm meter, and start checking... About the best advice I can give you for now.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Again, where do you get some of this from?

I can buy a a batt with a few weak cells dropping to maybe 9, 7, 5v or the like, but from twelve to zero without a direct short is stretching it just a bit.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Ok kids.....the battery is not the issue at hand...I can prove this because I used the klx battery to get me home tonight on my ktm 640.......try to listen to what I said ..... it is nothing obvious or stupid.......battery good, fuses good but when load applied bat goes to zero......Sumthin clicked inside da klx when trying variations......but nuthin would repeat.....ugh I am fustrated.

Sorry Finger, but without being there it's really hard. Just sitting here with the diagram, nothing jumps-out at me. I don't recall EVER saying it was your battery.

Let us know when you fix it. I'm done cause it's not making sense. Anything that brings the batt to zero with key on should pop the stock fuses. That's why I said make sure you are reading staight from the batt terminals (I meant posts) rather than from a frame ground or any wires in between, but you probably are doing that already. Appologies if you are.

At this point I'm just gonna go make popcorn and watch the thread.

Last edited by tremor38; 03-08-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Youve got water in a connection 13 volts in a battery damage can be done,bad ground somewhere.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

when you fry your skiff can I have it. LOL.

I like fish, crazy Scotstman

Last edited by oldphart; 03-08-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Electrical Help! Fuses Good...Battery Reads Zero Volts w/Ignition On