dynojet 2 or 3 washers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:27 PM
1st Gear Member
Default dynojet 2 or 3 washers?

I am installing the Dynojet kit on my 09 KLX250s today.
The instructions say put the small washers above the clip on the needle.
The kit came with 3 washers. The fig. A diagram shows 2 washers.
Do I use 2 or 3? Thanks
Craig

Old 04-16-2011, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Follow the diagram. They include extra washers in the kit just in case you want to do some custom tuning.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Is there a problem if you don't use any washers?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03rubicon
Is there a problem if you don't use any washers?
The needle can bounce or wiggle around a bit more. Surprisingly most bikes don't go to pot completely without those washers...don't ask me how I know over numerous KLR's and KLX's over decades,LOL!...but there is often an inconsistent surge or power delivery without them.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:14 AM
1st Gear Member

HB is right. Follow the directions. Becareful, I just did mine (2010) carb. I stripped one of the screws on the bottom of the carb. Ended up using a hacksaw to cut into the screw head to make it flat...got lucky and it came out. I had spare screws hanging around and one matched perfect. Also make sure you take the smog **** out. Go to Advance Auto or Napa and get vacuum cap assortments, about 6 bucks....

Old 04-17-2011, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

also i dropped the ball and didnt order a .018 in drill bit. i went to three places.... i will end up pulling the carb at a later date....but the bike started up a lot better after being jetted. i also used fresh fuel..

Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Follow the diagram. They include extra washers in the kit just in case you want to do some custom tuning.
I compared their two washers and e-clip stack to the stock needle and the shoulder on the stock needle was thicker. I used all 3.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't you think that, just maybe, dynojet wants two washers there so that the needle will set closer to the main jet? By putting three washers in there you have made the needle sit out of the jet farther making it richer than designed.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Don't you think that, just maybe, dynojet wants two washers there so that the needle will set closer to the main jet? By putting three washers in there you have made the needle sit out of the jet farther making it richer than designed.
http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/2152.pdf

According to their documentation the washers go on top of the clip, not under. They have no affect on the location of the needle, they're just there to take up the space left from the thin e-clip.

Now.... you technically *could* put one under the clip to achieve about a half-notch change in height...

Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Well then cripes, it matters not. I recall how odd it was that with only two washers the little white chair legs did not rest on the black slide. I was being sure that I didn't block the air hole with the chair legs but then noticed that it didn't matter.

So the extra third washer will only preload the slide spring a tad more than it would have been.

Quick Reply: dynojet 2 or 3 washers?