dual-sport helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm still wearing my Shoei RF700 even though I swore I would get something new. I bought a cheap MX package for off-road. I really like the helmet in this kit. I think I just got lucky with the fit.

http://typhoonhelmets.com/index.php?...emart&Itemid=4

Old 03-31-2012, 05:27 AM
1st Gear Member

OP do you have a link for that helmet you could share im thinking of getting one too

Old 03-31-2012, 02:41 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

The AFX 37/39 DS models have proven to be a very popular and functional DS helmet. I've seen friends and acquaintenances all over the places I go using these helmets and being super happy with them. I've had my 37DS for about 3 years now with a ton of use. I'll probably go with the 39DS in the near future just to get a fresh helmet. They work.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
should i pull the trigger on this?...my icon variant is already starting to fall apart after about 6,000 miles of use....the visor doesn't even close all the way....lining is starting to sag...looking for a new helmet and this looks pretty good...and, thought i go with white....

visor removed...

I had a Marushin street helmet back in the late 80s into the 90s. Best venting I've ever had, simple but worked. I'd have bought another, but they quit importing them. If this helmet is available in the U.S. I'd certainly consider it, but your image address indicates it's in Europe, with the de in the tag I believe it's in Germany.

I have a Joe Rocket Hybrid, made by HJC (and marketed in Europe as an HJC), which I like. It has a basic shape. Problem is the chin strap is a bit far back against my throat too much. If I did it over I'd buy a Fly dual sport helmet. Great fit for me and the price is just over $100, yet a good helmet. It is a rebranded AFX or it is made by the same manufacturer as AFX, it is pretty much the same as the newest AFX FX39 that TNC mentioned. Only thing was I didn't like the angular shape of the shell. I got to try it on and it fit great, I just did the JR instead since I really liked my HJC CS15 so I figured I'd do the dual sport helmet. Hind sight 20/20 I'd do the Fly. The Fly mostly because a friend, Brock Sellards, is now a Western Power Sports sales rep after a decent MX career.

I've never liked the jelly bean look of the face shield and frontal shape of the Icon. Too spacy stunter for me. Kind of insect head like look. If you like that, fine. It's personal tastes, that's all. I think the only negative was the curved face shield may have had a bit too much distortion at the top. Most all of the dual sport helmets have some distortion at the bottom where the shield juts out to the face bar, even the Arai and Shoei do. But it seems that part of the face shield isn't a big deal.

Last edited by klx678; 03-31-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Afx 39 ds.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Very happy with my AFX-39DS.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:40 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the Fly Trekker (same as AFX one) and I really like it.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:31 AM
1st Gear Member

LS-2 makes very nice,comfy helmets

Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

AFX FX-39!!!!!!! Helmet that will meet your needs both on and off road, looks great, and is right around $100.

It's not the quietest lid I've ever ridden in but it's quiet enough to not be bothersome. I got the high-vis yellow because I ride a black KLX but still want to have the best chance at being seen. I think adding another piece of equipment like a vest in order to be seen is a pain in the ***. I prefer the high-vis helmet cause I wear a helmet anyway.

This helmet can be worn with goggles on and the shield down simultaneously. So, when your off road you can use the shield anytime you're doing a water-crossing or when getting roosted by the guy in front of you and keep your goggles clear. As soon as your're out of the muck flip the shield up and you're riding with clean goggles.

It has been mentioned that FLY makes the same helmet, the FLY Trekker. That's partially true, both helmets share the same shell. BUT the liners and the straps are different. The fit on the FLY helmet is a bit tighter. I wear a medium AFX FX-39 and it fits just right, I tried on a medium FLY and it was too tight. The other difference is the chin strap. The FLY has the old school d rings that are a pain to use and impossible to use with gloves on. The AFX has a ratchet system that makes on and off simple and fast even with gloves on. I mean the AFX ratchet system is waaayyyy better, I didn't even know what I was missing before.

I got mine from revzilla, $99 shipped.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like the price went up a bit but here's a link:
AFX FX-39 Dual Sport Hi-Viz Helmet - RevZilla

Quick Reply: dual-sport helmets