Cold Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 AM
1st Gear Member
Red face

Ok, yes I'm a noob at carting a bike around in a truck but I have no idea what you are talking about! What's a "tie down fork brace?" Thanks!

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Congrats on the new ride.
Just a tip. Get yourself a tie down fork brace if you plan on carting your bike around like that in your ute, or you'll be fixing blown fork seals instead of riding. Just a tip. $10 worth spent.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member
Wink

Originally Posted by armycopter
Ok, yes I'm a noob at carting a bike around in a truck but I have no idea what you are talking about! What's a "tie down fork brace?" Thanks!
Think of it as a "Brace" that you put between the tire tread and those two bolts that hold the front fender to the forks, and that you will use to keep the forks from bottoming or bouncing when you "strap her down to the truck". Although I've been told that the forks can take the 'abuse' by some that are more knowledgeable than I am....

With regards to the hard or in your case, no start condition ... If you lay her down a pretty far piece, then being patient, you'll soon see some gas come out of the carb... after that has happened, she'll usually start up if the battery is topped off.

I eventually got tired of this system (and it was a source of constant embarasment to me from my KTM, Honda and Yamaha friends) .... so I bought a Bill Blue modded Mikuni ' pumper' carb. Problem solved and much quicker throttle response!

Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Look between my tire and fender, homemade jobbie. You can buy nice ones too.
Name:  IMG_1469.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  131.0 KB

Old 01-09-2009, 04:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  Carbie.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  77.6 KB

This will fix it if you don't mind spending a few hundred $

Old 01-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member
Default cold start

Yep the pumper carb is the way to go to eliminate the problem for sure, buts there's lots of tips and tricks on the forum just have to find one that works for you. Have some spare money burning a hole in your wallet and don't want to use tie downs? check this out, was designed for mx bikes and the Klx is a bit of a wiggle to get in

http://www.riskracing.com/pages/Lock_Page.html

Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Pumper Carb will work no doubt.
Just turn the gas off , and run her dry till she quits when you park it and you'll have no issues. Works well even when I park it for 2 weeks.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DJFields
Pumper Carb will work no doubt.
Just turn the gas off , and run her dry till she quits when you park it and you'll have no issues. Works well even when I park it for 2 weeks.

yup, makin sure u run the bowl dry before storage of more than 2 days will take care of it.. cheapest way to cure it would be lettin it breathe easier (remove air box lid. then a long rod to knock the baffles out) and a rejet.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

+ 1 on the fork brace. And like the guys said above, if the bike will sit for a few days then run the gas out. Just turn off the fuel 3 blocks before you pull into the driveway. Here is my Vampire fork brace I made a couple of years ago. Don't laugh. I was too cheap to buy one for $14.00 so I spent an hour making this one.

Name:  100_4941small.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  76.7 KB

Old 01-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh and welcome to the forums in case I didn't say it yet.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

i would'nt of brought the bike home if it did'nt start. good luck!

Quick Reply: Cold Starting