Cold Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Cold Starting

Ok, I picked up my new bike today but the dealer could not start it! They built it yesterday and the tech said it started right up after being built in a warm garage. They stored it in their cold garage last night and when I showed up to pick it up, it would not start. It was in the 20's (fahrenheit) so I assume that has something to do with it. Anyone out there experience this problem with their bike's? What's the fix? I have it stored inside right now and won't be riding until the snow abates. Here's a couple of pix from today.

Name:  KLX250S004.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  155.0 KB

Name:  KLX250S005.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  168.8 KB

-Armycopter

Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweet ride, congrats on the purchase! Yeah these bikes tend to be tempermental in the cold. I hope they got it started and re-checked everything before you left with it?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice pics. Too bad it didn't start you could haver rode it home, lol. You should have held their ***** to the fire, and told them you didn't buy a bike that won't start, let them squirm. The cold start trouble is very common. Many methods to overcome it. Use the search function on here. When it's cold, I keep mine on a battery tender (keeps it topped off and maybe not so cold) turn the fuel off and run the bike till it quits. When you go to start it, fuel on choke on grab the front brake and rock the bike back and forth a couple times and hit the start button. It's worked for me this winter. Other methods out there. like i said search, lots of good info on here. Dan

Old 01-08-2009, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahhh...Fresh KLX!
Sorry no info on cold starts at your kinda temps. Here in TN all i need is the choke on and about a 1.5 second push on the start button. Hope you get it figured out.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

No, they never got the bike going. They checked the fuel and spark but no luck. I was in kind of a hurry (had to be home to get kids off the bus) so I couldn't wait but they assured me it started right up when it was warm. I will do some research and see what I can come up with but it's kind of a bummer that I haven't even heard my bike run yet. I may pull it out of my office this weekend and see how it starts up after being warm for a couple of days. Hopefully it won't be a major problem.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the new ride.
Just a tip. Get yourself a tie down fork brace if you plan on carting your bike around like that in your ute, or you'll be fixing blown fork seals instead of riding. Just a tip. $10 worth spent.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 AM
1st Gear Member

"Just a tip. $10 worth spent." +1 on that. It costs even less if you go ghetto like me and cut a 4x4 to fit between the front tire and fender.
Name:  IMG_1469.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  131.0 KB

Last edited by dan888; 01-09-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:16 AM
1st Gear Member

My '09 refused to start one day (below 30 degrees). Blow dryer to the carb and intake for a couple minutes fixed it right up.

It's something to think about if you plan to do any remote camping and ride the next morning.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats on the bike! She's purty. Some days I wish I had the greenie. Anyway, I had the same problem. But thanks to the info in this forum I tried shutting off the gas and letting her run out if i knew it would be a while before I rode again or was really cold. Fires up very quickly now. Before trying this it was quite frustrating. BTW I like the 4"x4" idead for the forks...Why didn't I think of that? Enjoy!

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

"BTW I like the 4"x4" idea for the forks...Why didn't I think of that?" I didn't think of it either! I never got the chance, it was in a post like this where someone showed a fix before I ever knew I was doing it wrong.

Quick Reply: Cold Starting