Cold Air Dyno Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Cold Air Dyno Run

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Even in the service manual supplement the D-Tracker is rated quite a bit higher power wise. The KLX is rated at 14.79 HP and the D is 29.59 (15 PS and 30 PS respectively). The cold air makesa very significant difference. I started my ride yesterday at 48 degrees F and by the time I got home it was 37 and the KLX was a screamer, pulled harder in every gear. Not enough to keep up with my buddy's 650L but was still a fun ride.
They are rated exactly the same here in Japan (28PS at countershaft). I think the method of measurement is different in the case of the two manuals. KLX is probably a rear wheel measurement.

Yeah, I see your point on temp vs HP. It would just be nice to have some empirical data to back-upsuch a large swing. I've basically recoverd all of the drive train loss by way of colder temps...wierd, huh? [8D]

Time to start chucking dry ice into the airbox

Old 03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Well, I think you should trust it, Dean, unless proven otherwise. I'll trust a calibrated dyno machine any day over guestimates and hand waving. But I do think something is up - maybe not the machine, but there's got to be an explanation. A16Tony and Scat both dyno'd their bikes back to back and got within 0.5 HP of each other and were seeing around 22 or so, if I recall, and theirs had the airbox/carb/pipe mods. Mine was just a hair under 27 HP and that was with airbox/carb/pipe/big bore mods. So if we trust that data, and based on what we know about the stock 17 or 18 HP, the airbox/carb/pipe mods give about 4 or 5 HP and the big bore is worth about another 5.

But you are seeing 10 HP from just the airbox/carb/pipe mod. Unless there is something real special about your exhaust, other than it's the coolest exhaust I've ever seen, there has to be an explanation. I'll freely admit I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if the cold air would account for the 5 HP and like someone else said, I thought the dyno was supposed to factor that in? Again, I'm far from an expert, so maybe that is in fact the explanation, maybe someone with some expertise in this area can chime in.

Anyway, I tend to believe the dyno, no reason not to. But I would look for an explanation as to why yours is so much higher. But I wouldn't discount the results, they are what they are. Just consider it a pleasant surprise.

Also, when I got my 27 HP run, I had a Kenda K761 rear tire. It is claimed a 50/50 tire, but it is pretty smooth so I don't think your rear street tire can explain it all. My tire was brand new and they say they are slicker when new and you need about 100 miles on them before they bite good, but I don't think that would account for it either. I do think the rear tire can make a big difference, though. I'm just saying that I had a decent rear tire on my 27 HP run, so that doesn't account for the difference.

Congrats on the dyno results - that's some good stuff right there!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:25 AM

I'm confused, the manual for my bike (klx250-d1, d2) claims 23.5KW (32 ps) @ 8500rpm, but you guys state only 14hp from a stock bike am i missing the point here or are UK spec bikes completely different from US specs as the manual states 18.4KW (25 ps) @ 8000rpm for the US model.

Simon L

Old 03-25-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

TheUS specsappear to be measured at the rear wheel wheras the UK is probably using a countershaft measurement. Just a guess.

ORIGINAL: britboard

I'm confused, the manual for my bike (klx250-d1, d2) claims 23.5KW (32 ps) @ 8500rpm, but you guys state only 14hp from a stock bike am i missing the point here or are UK spec bikes completely different from US specs as the manual states 18.4KW (25 ps) @ 8000rpm for the US model.

Simon L

Old 03-25-2007, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

A16Tony and Scat both dyno'd their bikes back to back and got within 0.5 HP of each other and were seeing around 22 or so, if I recall, and theirs had the airbox/carb/pipe mods. Mine was just a hair under 27 HP and that was with airbox/carb/pipe/big bore mods. So if we trust that data, and based on what we know about the stock 17 or 18 HP, the airbox/carb/pipe mods give about 4 or 5 HP and the big bore is worth about another 5.

I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if the cold air would account for the 5 HP..
I'm with you on all of that, and I'll take it a step further. I remember reading a dyno run on D-tracker that had an aftermarket exhaust similar to mine, pumper carb, 315cc large bore kit and aftermarket cams installed that netted the same HP as mine. Something is not adding up. I think I'm at the stage where I'll just wait until things warm-up (for my own comfort if nothing else) and go get a 'second opinion.'

Old 03-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

We all know that every Dyno is going to give you a different reading. But you have some good numbers showing at that ambient temp with your setup. I agree, take another run when the ambient temps get warmer on the same Dyno to meet your curiousity. Nice looking ride ya got there tremor38