Chit Chat

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 10:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Klxster
Snap, if you have to try a DJ144, certainly use the stock spring, stock slide lift port, and clip on 1N.. You do this to stop/minimize overfueling below 6.5k RPM's . All I can estimate about such a setup is that once your stock header runs outta breath (8.5k-9k) your AFR will ilkely go pretty rich..

I gotta order a new KACR spring since I lost the old one so I will have to remember a new carb slide spring too. Taking the cams back to stock timing with the BB351 next month. Planning to run my current DJ140 2N setup at first but suspect my slightly lean AFR will get more lean with the big slug.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

You are certainly correct that the DJ140 + Lidless + slipon "formula" can be labeled "slightly lean" . However I do not know if noticeable power increases can be felt by richening the AFR some with a DJ144. I'm guessing we are talking about going from 12.8-13.0 down to something like 12.0 - 12.5 to 1..

Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, come on! Take the tuning talk elsewhere. This is chitchat, dammit!

Nice Duc. I'd like to take that for a weekend run.

My starter was a ~74 Suzi GT380 2T triple. Grandpa not only gave his blessing, he encouraged it.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:22 PM
1st Gear Member

351 blah blah, etc.
My domestic boss forced me to put up a little cheapo pool in the back yard today. Heat index like 109F. I played with a heat index calculator telling she who must be obeyed that it felt hotter in Va Beach today than 118F in Las Vegas and she doesn't understand evaporative cooling and relative humidity and can't stand to hear me explain it. 118F at 6% RH is similar to 95F at 60% RH on the heat index calculator. If we let a human's skin define a control volume a first law analysis would be interesting for both cases where the HI is similar but dry bulb and RH differ greatly.
And yes, BB351 is good. Can't wait until she gets about 500 miles and I feel comfy opening it all the way up.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:47 AM
1st Gear Member

And here is tonight's jazz track. I have been leaning into digging the sounds of Art Pepper more and more. Why the frack did I not know this guy when I was in HS. Then I might have followed my music career instead of allowing it to peter out. Anyone got a transcription of this solo?

Old 07-24-2017, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice track. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Sitting here with a big bowl of shrimp etoufee liberally sprinkled with Louisiana brand hot sauce and a cold bottle of brew. Thanks honey!

Attached Thumbnails  Chit Chat-shrimp-etouffee-vertical-600.jpg  

Last edited by snappster; 08-06-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Sat on bikes as I always do at the bike shop after buying parts; this time brake pads, waiting on the slide pins and caliper piston seals I ordered. Parked it on an Africa twin for the first time. Both feet tippy toes in running shoes. I don't believe I will be looking at it anymore. Too bad they can't put that drive train in a NC1000X. I might like the nc700x dct for commuting and road trips but 51 HP is pretty lame. With the 1000cc engine at around 94 HP the NCX would be about perfect. Faster then my magna was, easy commuting with the frunk, and no clutch dct chilling in the long line of cars waiting to get on the base in the morning.

Last edited by snappster; 08-23-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I sat on the AT when they first came out at an ADV event in Enterprise, Oregon. I suppose I'm lucky enough to have the legs for it as it felt quite comfortable. Still having fun with the '14 VStrom 1000 so not quite ready to jump ship for the AT yet, but it sure is tempting. Also seeing more big KTMs on Craig's List. I gotta quit looking at that!

They guy with the AT had the standard clutch. He gave that one less than a year and jumped for the DCT clutch this spring. Sounds like most riders really like it.

What magna did you have? Back in '85 first year in college with an ~'81 Kaw KZ750LTD, I envied those big magnas and the wheelies they could pull.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
What magna did you have?
1995(750) with the mini fairing. Opened up the exhaust and re-jetted. Stripped about 35 pounds off. Pretty quick compared to most cruisers but not much for wheelies. It had a low center of gravity compared to 1st gen magnas and a lot less power than the v65. If Honda made a 4th gen magna with the vfr engine I would be there in a N.Y. minute.
Edit: Hey IDRIDR, noticed thermobob in your signature. Do you run a temperature gage? What do you think about the t-bob? I emailed the guy with my concern about bypassing the radiator on a really hot day on slow single-track but he said it doesn't hurt the bike and did not like the extra cost of a 2nd thermostat. I would want a high temp closing thermostat on the bypass line to force all flow to the radiator when engine over heating is possible. I want to get one but will probably put a plug valve in the bypass just for hot *** days.

Last edited by snappster; 08-25-2017 at 12:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Chit Chat