Chit Chat

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

snap,
Yes, I run a TrailTech Vapor that has a temperature gauge. The bypass line is quite small in diameter compared to the radiator flow. It lets a little flow run through all the time to allow a little cooling during warm up before the thermostat opens. I wouldn't plug it or put a thermostat on it; it's designed purposely to operate this way. The bike warms up quicker for sure. If you're worried about overheating, install a manual fan switch which is a pretty simple mod and one that I use.

Those V65s were the ones I remembered. I watch Craig's List for them, but have never pulled the trigger. Occasionally, there's one in our parking lot.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool, I think the t-bob is on my short list of chit to buy now.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Joined up with the VIR Supermoto FB group. Too late to race this weekend but I am itching to gear up and get some kart track time and hopefully some riding instruction. Would do SoCal Supermoto School but hate the TSA and airlines in general.

Facebook Post

Attached Thumbnails  Chit Chat-18699833_10213693929371883_2852678899537823375_n.jpg  

Last edited by snappster; 08-30-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by snappster
1995(750) with the mini fairing. Opened up the exhaust and re-jetted. Stripped about 35 pounds off. Pretty quick compared to most cruisers but not much for wheelies. It had a low center of gravity compared to 1st gen magnas and a lot less power than the v65. If Honda made a 4th gen magna with the vfr engine I would be there in a N.Y. minute.
Edit: Hey IDRIDR, noticed thermobob in your signature. Do you run a temperature gage? What do you think about the t-bob? I emailed the guy with my concern about bypassing the radiator on a really hot day on slow single-track but he said it doesn't hurt the bike and did not like the extra cost of a 2nd thermostat. I would want a high temp closing thermostat on the bypass line to force all flow to the radiator when engine over heating is possible. I want to get one but will probably put a plug valve in the bypass just for hot *** days.
I'm running one.

The Thermo-bob does not bypass any significant volume of water from the radiator once the thermostat opens. The whole idea of the bypass, which exists in automobile engines, is to have water circulation when cold. The way the KLX is, there is no circulation of water until the thermostat opens. The base of the cylinder stays cooler than the head area. Then there is the fact that the bypass hose is far smaller than the radiator hoses and water will easily flow to the radiator as needed.

The fact is the bypass is why one runs the Thermo-bob. It allows more consistent cooling through the entire cooling system when the thermostat is closed to partially open by actually flowing coolant through the cylinder/head . The site show temp testing on KLRs on the site, don't know about KLX.

Plug the bypass and all you have done is moved where the thermostat is in your cooling system, the cooling system remains blocked off with no fluid movement when the thermostat is closed... the key thing the Thermo-bob does.

Old 09-02-2017, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
I'm running one.

The site show temp testing on KLRs on the site, don't know about KLX.
Thx, I reread that page and feel better about the hot day thing. Maybe I wanted to see charts at various ambient temperatures but I think that worry is finished. Think I will get one here shortly.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Car Tire Changing at Home Now

Having changed/mounted several tires for the klx I got adventurous and decided to use my bike tire spoons on my car tires, size 155/80-r13. Went pretty well. Seems the more often I use the spoons the better I get with them. Now I need to find a source for cheaper tires than the $52/tire that I did pay. No balance at all and I left the weights on the rims from the last tire install. No vibration at up to 70 mph. Now I gotta figure out what to do with the used tire collection that is growing at my house.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice to see Kawi is bringing back the klx250 but I wonder how mod friendly the engine management systems will be relative to the carb version. And for your entertainment is a new band to me. I would pay money to sit in the sax section and call it a masters class.

Old 09-22-2017, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Cool stuff ^. Just got my Latin groove on for a bit. Thanks for sharing.

It will be interesting to see how tuneable the EFI will be. I recall the non-us folks having them over the past few years had trouble properly fueling a big bore. This will be fun to watch.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Z900rs

Looks like my next street bike is about to come out. I haven't been this interested in a bike since I bought my 95 Magna new. I have been leaning towards the Z900 but that damn wacked out transformer look turns me off as much as the performance turns me on. If it comes in closer to $9k than $10k I might hafta get me one.

Last edited by snappster; 09-24-2017 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Got my first pair of mx boots yesterday and did my first ride last night. Hope they (AS Tech 5) break in before too long. They are stiff as hell, can barely shift and it takes a lot of focused effort to do it.
Rear brake is off or on. Can't feel much of anything. I know they will protect me in a crash but they may actually cause me to crash as my ability to control the bike is diminished. It feels like I am learning how to ride all over again.

Quick Reply: Chit Chat